Subscriber Discussion

Exposed Circuit Boards On Cameras - Pet Peeve

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jun 06, 2017

This is a pet peeve of mine.  I am sure that this doesn't violate any code or UL standards, but it really bugs me when a camera has exposed circuit boards on them.  To me, it doesn't look like a finished product.  

Is there any concern that a tech working on wiring up an alarm input cable could short something out, or jab a screw in to a component??

I feel that this separates brand A from brand B - finished product vs. low cost OEM.  Slapping the minimum amount of components onto the assembly, vs. taking the time to fabricate a plastic cover, etc.  Some look so barebones/DIY.

Thoughts?? Comments?  Horror stories?  Does this influence any end users or integrators in selecting a manufacturer?

(I do work for a camera manufacturer, but this is my personal pet peeve.  I have obscured the model/brand names on the photos below.)

Here is one example:

Here is another example of 2 manufacturer cameras.  Top has exposed circuit board, bottom does not.

(1)
U
Undisclosed
Jun 07, 2017

Many do this.  I agree it sucks.  For one thing asking an installer to stand upside down on the top of a ladder and smash the ethernet cable in etc. etc gives you all sorts of opportunities to scrape the board with a tool.  Oh by the way how's that work out if you're outdoors, in the snow or something installing a camera. 

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 07, 2017

Cannot agree with this enough! I hate exposed PCBs!

I've never killed a camera by accidentally hitting it with a screwdriver but it still screams 'lowest dollar' or 'poor engineering'.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions