Subscriber Discussion

Axis Q60-C In Hazardous Areas?

NH
Nabeel Hashim
Jun 09, 2013

Can I use the axis q60c in explosive proof environment?

JH
John Honovich
Jun 09, 2013
IPVM

According to the Q60-C datasheet, "The cameras are tested to meet the tough MIL-STD-810G standard for high temperature, temperature shock, radiation, rain, humidity, salt fog, sand and dust." That standard has a specific test for 'explosive atmosphere'. However, Axis does not mention this. I'll ask Axis to confirm.

DM
Duncan Miller
Jun 09, 2013

Nabeel and John,

I am not sure which country this would be installed in but if its being installed in Canada a MIL spec is absolutely useless and will not meet Canadian electrical code for installation in a hazardous location. Anything being installed in a hazardous location must have certain certifications stamps on it and a MIL spec is not one of them. I am sure this is the same for the USA and the Canadian Electrical Code is based of the NEC.

Nabeel,

What country are you located in and second off what is the classification of the environment you are installing the camera in?

SA
Syd Anthony
Jun 10, 2013

Nabeel,

Looking at that spec sheet I would say that's a no. All CCTV cameras designed for hazardous environments have to be tested to meet UL/CE etc compliance under the ATEx or IECEx standards. Additionally Class I Class II or one or many special individual locations such as Brazil, Russia, China that have their own standards. To top this off as Duncan mentioned the camera you use has to meet the required classification of the job/project. For arguments sake if the site is an LNG site you would need to use a camera to meet or exceed the spec and you couldn't use a camera that had certification for an explosive dust atmosphere. To give you a clue most Ex rated cameras are manufactured in 316L stainless steel or anodised aluminium with a camera that has been tested and certified and installed inside. Depending on the location you could use an Axis camera in an Ex housing unless your in say an IECEx location where the specific camera and housing has to be certified as a complete product. You are NOT allowed to get any old camera and mount it in an Ex housing.

Suffice to say this is a complex field and if you have never had any experience you need to ask for professional help as you can easily get in to trouble using the wrong camera for the project.

I had a customer once buy a legacy product which was a Class I/Class II only product and use it in an IECEx only environment. They got themselves in a world of hurt as it was installed and running for 12 months before an audit was done.

Manufacturers with good equipment for this arena as some examples include Pelco, Oxalis, VideoTec, Bosch, Hernis, Synetics.

AA
Aaron Auseth
Jun 12, 2013

The "C" in Q60-C is for Cooling. It is built to operate in a high temperature environment. I agree with Syd Anthony that this camera is NOT suited for an explosive atmosphere. I don't believe AXIS makes anything in that segment. They do discuss a 3rd party explosion proof housing for some of the fixed box cameras. I found nothing even suggesting AXIS supports a PTZ explosion proof housing.

You might have to go with something like a Pelco ExSite IP Series camera. I'm not necessarily recommending Pelco, but I'd fairly certain AXIS doesn't offer anything to suite your specific application.

You need to be very careful about explosive atmospheres. It isn't really about the camera surviving an explosion. It is about making sure the camera's electronics & power sources do not CAUSE the explosion. There are specific ratings the camera must meet (as discussed by Syd). In some cases, the explosive atmosphere may have an additional hazardous chemical involved, which can deteriorate the seals. It all gets very complicated.

SA
Syd Anthony
Jun 14, 2013

Hi Nabeel, best to start to narrow down your CCTV shopping list with the Ex standards in the UAE. Are you folk on IECEx or ATEx?

This is important as there is less manufacturers with IECEx products than ATEx, ClassI Class II etc

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions