Subscriber Discussion

Explosion Rated Enclosure To Put Camera Inside?

GF
Gerald Fowler
Dec 08, 2016

What  explosion proof enclosure are out there to put box type cameras inside?

Joel Kriener
Dec 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Intrinsically safe and/or explosion proof equipment is generally very expensive.

I guess my first questions would be;

1) what is the area classification that the camera needs to actually reside in?

Class 1 Division 1 is the most stringent with hazardous 'explosive' atmosphere always present, Class 1 Division 2 not always, etc.. etc.. it does make a difference when determining the type of equipment

2) Does it really need to be 'inside' the classified zone? Can the camera be located 'outside' of the zone but have a clear field of view of what you want to monitor?

3) What are the hazards?

GF
Gerald Fowler
Dec 08, 2016

The camera is on a loading rack where the refueling truck connects to a fitting 2 feet or so of ground .The camera is roughly 16-18 feet from that.

Brandon Knutson
Dec 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I have no experience in EX-proof housings, but here's one from Videotec

Joel Kriener
Dec 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

A Class 1 Division 1 rated electrical enclosure, 30"x30"x12" can run as much as $6,000 just for the enclosure. So you really need to be sure that you need to install within the area or mount outside of the area and use the proper best practices for sealing the conduits that run into the areas...

Brian Rhodes
Dec 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

In general, it is cheaper/logistically better to mount the camera outside the hazardous area, and spend money on lensing or even multiple cameras to build up FoV coverage.

Is that an option here?

For more on housings, rated assemblies, and how this is normally handled, see our: Hazardous Area Surveillance / Explosion 'Proof' Cameras note.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 09, 2016

There are some huge, ugly units available out there that are readily available from places like Moog/Videolarm. Pelco, Bosch, and some of the other slumbering giants still make some, like so:

Image result for explosion proof camera enclosures

However, I didn't want the camera to look like a light anti tank weapon and these exact enclosures were the ones I was tasked with replacing. I went with this from APG vision, stripped the camera out of a dome enclosure, and mounted within. The below image is not my camera but illustrates it is a bit more conventionally sized.

Image result for apg l4 nema enclosure

If you haven't dealt with class 1, division 1/2 environments before expect all of the explosion proofing to be more expensive than the surveillance system... by far. The enclosure above is roughly $2-$3k depending upon the distributor and that doesn't include fittings, sealant, etc. Frequently the classification of the environment is not applicable when outside a given range or above a certain height in these areas so I would recommend investigating that route first.

(1)
Joel Kriener
Dec 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I installed cameras for the exact same type of situation. The scenario was an LPG tanker truck loading rack. Class 1 Division 2 rated area. It was found to be appropriate to install a 60ft. telephone pole and mount the four day/night 4.7mm cameras at the top which placed them outside of the rating area. It met the safety requirements and was actually the best elevated FOV that is able to see the entire loading facility.

The required infrastructures were same for either type of installation, i.e. electrical, fiber, conduit etc... so it basically the major expense difference was huge in terms of not having to use C1D1 or C1D2 rated enclosures and cameras.

hope this helps...

(1)
Joel Kriener
Dec 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Also, I added additional LED flood lighting in the area as the loading processes took place 24x7 year round. Do a lighting survey if needed and determine if you need better coverage. I know the truck drivers to a person really liked the additional lighting not to mention the recorded night video was excellent.

You could see all the detail of the loading process down to the proper line and valve positioning. This is especially good for any post event analysis in the event of an incident

Gianni Viero
Dec 12, 2016
Videotec

Hello Gerald

We do offer Ex-rated enclosures and Ex-rated cameras.

Please check our fix EX solution

Thank you

Gianni Viero

JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Reminds when a manufacturers rep was doing a presentation and he was telling us how the camera was made for the marine industry, salt environments, 5 pound metal housing, sealed etc etc. I then asked, is it explosion rated, and he looked at me weird, and said, "well we have not exposed it to any explosions", then carried on with his demo.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

...is it explosion rated, "well we have not exposed it to any explosions"...

lol. But I shouldn't laugh; I used to think when a shampoo said "Not tested on animals" meant it could be dangerous to use on your pet.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions