Subscriber Discussion

Explosion Proof PTZ With Avigilon

IK
Itamar Kerbel
Jul 21, 2015

Hello,

For a big project we are looking a supplier that has IP explosion proof PTZ cameras that can work with Avigilon (motion detection should work too, not only video).
There is Pelco but I don't think that motion detection is working. Also Pelco ExSite cameras are not HD. Wile HD is not a must but its preferred.

Does anybody know of a supplier that supports this?

Thanks.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 21, 2015
IPVM

From our Hazardous Area Surveillance tutorial. Net/net, you probably need to look strongly at using a 3rd party housing with an Avigilon camera:

There are two types or categories of equipment to choose from:

• 3rd party rated enclosure + 'regular' COTS camera
  • Assembly/kit that pre-fabricates hazardous enclosure and camera

Examples of 3rd party 'explosion proof' or 'intrinsically safe' housings include:

The cost range for rated enclosures ranges is $900 - $1,700 USD.

The second category is a singular rated ‘assembly’ – camera, housing, enclosure, cabling – that has been previously certified as a unit. No changes, beyond positioning the equipment, are allowed to be made during install for the assembly to retain this rating. Examples of 'intrinsically safe' assemblies include:

The cost range for rated assemblies is $8,000 - $14,000 USD.

Choosing Between these Categories

This is a hard decision as important tradeoffs exist.

The advantages of using 3rd party enclosures include:

• Low Price: It will almost always be significantly cheaper to buy a 3rd party rated enclosure and COTS camera rather than an assembly.
  • Camera Selection: This allows freedom to pick your preferred camera
  • VMS Compatibility: This makes it easier to guarantee interoperability with VMS

However, there is a crucial disadvantage of using 3rd party enclosures:

• The burden falls to the provider to ensure that all of the accompanying portions of equipment are also certified. A significant amount of risk is accepted by the integrator when supplying a 'piecemeal' solution.

Supplying a rated 'assembly' might ultimately prove to be a better decision depending upon how stringently the requirements are interpreted, and how willing the supplier is to accept risk for nonconforming performance of a 'piecemeal' assembly. A rated assembly that is installed properly serves to indemnify the supplier of risk.

Whichever option you choose, make sure the AHJ signs off in writing beforehand.

MM
Michael Miller
Jul 21, 2015

If you go with a 3rd party housing I recommend Hikvision or Axis for the camera. Both work well with Avigilon and motion detection is supported.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 21, 2015
IPVM

Why not the Avigilon PTZ?

IK
Itamar Kerbel
Jul 21, 2015

For fixed cameras we don't have a problem as the 2.0-H3-B1 camera works well.

The problem is that you cannot fit Avigilon PTZ in a EX-D housing.

I saw that Dexter has PTZ cameras with AXIS that should work with Avigilon but I'm not sure how this works as the camera is connected to Avigilon what controls the PT moment of the enclsure.

MM
Michael Miller
Jul 21, 2015

When we need 3rd party housings we have uses Axis and Hikvision for PTZ cameras.

Looking at Dexters PTZ cameras you shouldn't have any issues.

The PTZ dome series uses Axis's Q6045 PTZ camaeras

The PTZ box cameras use Axis's Q1755 cameras

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

...explosion proof PTZ cameras that can work with Avigilon (motion detection should work too, not only video).

IMHO, PTZ's with motion detection enabled are an unusual combination. Is it to detect if the PTZ itself is moved?

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Jul 21, 2015

Motion detection is used to trigger the camera to record. No different the fixed cameras.

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Motion detection is used to trigger the camera to record.

You are right, it is. It can also be used to simply tag, even when recording 24/7.

No different the fixed cameras.

Semantics aside, PTZ have several features that make them generally more difficult to use motion detection effectively than fixed cameras. Some of them being:

1. Moving the PTZ can cause recording to start in the absence of real motion
  2. Defining sensitivity thresholds which apply to all possible FOV's is tricky.
  3. Defining which regions in the image frame of to detect motion is usually applicable to only one predifinded position.

As I alluded to before, number one could be used beneficially, if say one wanted to record everything when an operator was operating, for instance.

Some VMSes can suppress the motion event when the PTZ is moved through the VMS.

I am unaware of a VMS that lets you set up different sensitivity and region parameters for multiple guard tour presets, but it's possible.

Does ACC support either event suppression or multiple preset region definition capabilities? Or both?

(1)
(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Itmar, at the risk of being downvoted, I would like mention that I saw this in the Avigilon ACC manual.

To me it is saying that if you use a (fixed) non-Avigilon camera that controls a PT device thru it's RS-485 (like a seperate movable enclosure), that you cannot configure it's controls thru ACC.

Whether that means you cannot control it thru ACC, if it is configured thru some other way, I cannot tell. In any case there is some difference between Avigilon and non-Avigilon cameras with respect to serial PT... Maybe someone can explain what it means exactly.

IK
Itamar Kerbel
Jul 22, 2015

You can connect analog PTZ cameras to Avigilon via the Avigilon encoder. So you actually control the PTZ via Pelco-D protocol.

This is fine but when you connect IP based PTZ then there is no way (That I know of) to separate the serial control from the IP based video stream (ONVIF).

The only way that I can think of that will work well is if the zoom camera will be able to control the PT enclosure. So we'll get:

ACC->IP CONNECTION->ZOOM Camera->PT ENCLOSURE

This way ACC "tells" the camera to move left and the camera translates this command to RS485 and then to the PT enclosure.

I just don't know if it works this way.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

ACC->IP CONNECTION->ZOOM Camera->PT ENCLOSURE

Agree, though I after reading the ACC manual, I can only be sure that this will work:

ACC->IP CONNECTION->Avigilon ZOOM Camera->PT ENCLOSURE

How do you interpret the manual section I posted earlier, with respect to third party cameras?

So for Axis camera for instance, normally you would need to load the correct RS-485 driver onto the camera directly and configure the PTZ settings there. But you would still be able to control it from any another brand VMS, because like you diagrammed, the VMS would pass thru the coommand.

I would think that it would be the same for ACC, except for the fact that A. the manual is not clear (to me), and B. the fact that ACC does not offer certain features (corridor mode, pixel search) to non-Avigilon cameras, apparently to make the Avigilon ones more attractive.

But overall I'm thinking that it shouldn't be a problem, however it's worth getting confirmation on...

MM
Michael Miller
Jul 22, 2015

Itamar I recommend you reach out to your sales engineer or call support. I remember seeing some Avigilon box camera in PTZ housings but I don't have the details for you.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions