Subscriber Discussion

Hikvision Or Ubiquiti Video?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jun 18, 2014

We have heard mixed reception to Ubiquiti's recent Hardware releases (neither price points nor features particularly compelling), and a bit more dire on the O/S and NVR changes (still proprietary, wiped out / impaired RTSP support, pre-existing features pulled without definitive timeframe for replacement).

Wondering if we are hearing / seeing the full story, and if anyone views the 2nd go round for Ubiquiti as likely to improve their standing much from the initial attempt a few years ago.

We had been told about how aggressive ubiquiti's prices are, but find a ton of alternatives with same or better specifications priced much cheaper (even with tax and freight, we can get 3MP Hikvision DS series with IR, etc).

JH
John Honovich
Jun 18, 2014
IPVM

It's pretty clear the 2nd go round on video is targeted for their core customer base that wants to use an end to end Ubiquiti solution. Also, the new camera specs are not that much better or valuable than previous.

What are you looking for though? It might help us provide better alternatives.

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jun 18, 2014

hey john -

thanks for the reply. i suppose i was actually here looking for alternatives. i am looking for something relatively cheap for perhaps 5 cameras initially, growing quite a bit over time.

we had been told about how aggressive ubiquiti's prices are, but find a ton of alternatives with same or better specifications priced much cheaper (even with tax and freight, we can get 3MP Hikvision DS series with IR, etc).

i like the idea of an open system like blue iris, and as such am leaning toward something ONVIF compliant, which i have been told Ubiquiti isnt.

so, i guess my aim in the question is:

#1. find out if my initial take on ubiquiti's pricing and features is consistent with what the rest of the community finds, or i am missing one or more things.

#2. sort of an extension of #1, if my goal is something functional and low cost, why wouldn't i opt for a few hikvision units running blue iris, i.e., is this also perhaps not as easy as advertised / i am led to initially believe.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 19, 2014
IPVM

Undisclosed A, you seem to know the current market well already. So, yes, Ubiquiti is inexpensive compared to Axis, Sony, etc., but certainly not to Hikvision, Dahua and their OEMs.

If I wanted to build a low cost yet flexible / open system, I'd start with Hikvision over Ubiquti.

Btw, I am not so sold / excited about Blue Iris. When you say 'hikvision units running blue iris', what do you mean? Can you run Blue Iris VMS software on a hikvision recorder? I thought you needed to run it on a Windows machine. Do you like the Blue Iris UI that much more than Hikvision's?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jun 19, 2014

Thanks again John -- agreed on Sony or Axis, but the feature sets offered there are far superior to the highest end sku i can locate from ubiquiti (called "Pro" apparently, despite specs that are below what is broadly available from Hikvision and others for half the price). So, I agree with that numerically, but that doesn't tell us a whole lot, in my view, apples and oranges.

I have been told Blueiris does run on Hikvision NVR using RTSP on the camera -- please note, I have not tried this personally, I plan to shortly.

Cost / lack of cost on blueiris plus the ios apps and option to stream live to web is what i have generally liked in digging around blueiris. I am certainly open to other suggestions, but the notion of avoiding hardware vendor lock in is what most interests me.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions