Subscriber Discussion

Exit Access Control Door, Advice Needed

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 03, 2017

We have a client who wants to put access control on a door going from their manufacturing floor into their office area. The door is labeled as an exit since you can get to the outside after going through the office. We would have to use a maglock on this door because there's no push bar or handle to install a strike on. We can tie into the fire alarm for emergency exits, but my concern is what if there's another emergency. The AHJ had no advice or opinion on the matter. Any ideas?

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

There's plenty of hate for maglocks to go around, so there's some bound to show up here.

However, if you don't add/change hardware to the door, using a maglock can be done lawfully (in accordance with NFPA 101/IBC).

Install two different forms of RTE:

1. Motion PIR sensor/REX

2. RTE Pushbutton

Integrate into the fire alarm for sure, and the other two forms of RTE should cover other emergency events.

If there is neither a bar nor a lever lockset on this door, is it a knob?

DT
Damon Tarquinio
Jan 03, 2017

It might be worth a look to have the door retrofitted with a mechanical panic bar and a surface mount electric strike if the present door and frame would support this .. this would satisfy the egress concern.  If you can post a picture of the door it would help determine this.  

Is this a swinging type of door with a closer (like you see in a restaurant), hence the lack of existing door levers?

(1)
UI
Jan 03, 2017

It's a swing door similar to what you would find in a resturant with a closer but it's a lot more heavy duty.

Maybe this floor plan will help better explain it. They want to prevent employees from going from the manufacturing floor (DDL Secondary is on the manufacturing floor) to the Administrative Wing. The door in question is circled in red, the card reader would be on the manufacturing side preventing people who do not have authority from going into the administrative wing. Because this door is labled an exit, I am concerned about egress during emergencies not related to the fire alarm going off. 

So if we use an RTE push button like in Brians link we should be good?

DT
Damon Tarquinio
Jan 03, 2017

Ok ... got cha ... looks like a delayed egress application, but the RTE button will certainly work if its ok for someone to enter the admin offices and bypass the card reader at any time.

One of the ways we have addressed doors like this if a mag lock is used is to use a delayed egress mag lock (there are a number of manufacturers of these, (RCI, Schlage/Allegion, SDC, etc.) along with the card reader (on the DDL side).  There is also usually a key-switch override mounted on the wall as well (on the reader side).

If someone wishes to enter the DDL side from the Admin side, this is where your two exit release devices would be installed, which would allow Admin people to freely enter the DDL side without an access card. Do admin people always have access to the DDL side?

Additionally, the door would normally open out from the DDL side in the direction of egress; a delayed egress mag lock assumes someone will be pushing out against the door on their path to egress.  The local door alarm created when someone pushes against the door long enough to release it (15-30 seconds) usually includes a set of dry alarm contacts that can be wired to a monitored alarm system and/or require a reset from the key override station on the card reader side.

Lastly, this would be tied into your fire alarm system and require the proper permits/inspection by your local AHJ.

Things could change a bit if your client needs to limit passage from the Admin side, but to address the life safety side of the egress requirements, I would run the delayed egress scenario past your AHJ.  Delayed egress locks are not cheap, but sometimes the only way to go.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 03, 2017

Unique scenario, and not one that will be easy to solve if you have an AHJ that is involved.

The best option, in my opinion, would be a delayed-egress panic device, assuming the swing of the door is "inswing" or away from the manufacturing area. The panic device will alarm for 15 seconds when pushed, and then open after the 15 seconds elapses, allowing anyone to go through the door. This is most likely to be approved by an AHJ, if they are inclined to care about such things. The fact that you have an exit sign above the door is automatically going to complicate things here, especially from an area like a manufacturing floor where there could feasibly be a large number of people.

Option 2, which is markedly worse, would be to install a delayed egress maglock. AHJ's usually have a major issue with these and I have had them rejected a number of times in various locations, even though the function is basically the same as the delayed-egress panic device. However, in the case of the panic, it's a more "commonly known" action to press against a panic device, so they are usually OK with it when coupled with a sign. With a maglock, it is often just a sign on the door, which people may miss.

Option 3, which I've had AHJ's approve even though it requires an additional action, is to place a maglock or electric strike on the door with a covered emergency-release pull station. The AHJ's I've dealt with like the "immediate release" of the pull station opposed to the delay associated with a delayed-egress device, so even though it makes little sense, I've had that approved as well.

Personally, I never like restricting legitimate paths of egress, and I would encourage the customer to look at possibly adding access-controlled doors to some of the other doors that lead into the administrative wing, and leave the path of egress open. Or, perhaps they could even add another exit somewhere from the manufacturing floor to allow the path to the administrative wing to NOT be a designated path of egress any longer.

(2)
JE
Jim Elder
Jan 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I personally have seen integrators botch this kind of thing more times than I can count.  The fact that you are asking the question tells me you are not one of "those guys". Check out the Code your customer is under FIRST. Don't take a design to the AHJ without looking at the code. The fact that you have an approval is not a defense for incompetent design (the AHJ will not be held liable). If you follow the code, you will have no problems here are three sections from the IBC. Check and see which code applies.  

Section 1010.1.9.7 Delayed Egress 

Section 1010.1.9.8 Sensor Release of Electrically locked  Egress Doors 

Section 1010.1.9.9 Electromagnetically Locked Egress Doors (Securitron Magnalock was essentially the author of this code and so it is reasonable). 

The devil is in the details. My vote is for delayed egress with a reader on the egress side and a reader or button on the office side (assuming the site qualifies). You also need to know if the door is rated. If it is, the game is changed as to what hardware may be used; electric strikes, for example, should not be used on rated doors.  

(1)
UI
Jan 03, 2017

Jim thanks for this advices. We've installed fire alarm systems for 30 years and are licensed in 13 states so code compliance isn't new for us. This is however the first time we have seen anything like this and want to proceed with extreme caution. 

(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Jan 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I've done exactly this sort of thing for many years, but I would be out on a limb on fire alarms. Anyway, I might add that you also need to know what occupancy type is involved (which should be a piece of cake for fire alarm guys) as delayed egress is not allowed in certain occupancy groups). 

Let us know how this ends..

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions