Subscriber Discussion

Existing Lamps / Lights Disrupting Low Light Scenes

IQ
Ino Quandus
Jul 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hi all,

In one on our recently placed locations, an outside lamp that was already on that site and a few meters in front on the camera, is giving so much light during low light hours that a big part of the image is gone.

I have searched the IPVM site and forum but I can not find anything on this issue (but i'm sure its there :).

Being a newbie in this field, any tips on where to find some basics on lamp / external light basics? How far away do they need to be, can they be in front or behind the camera? What is preferred in general etc?

Thanks for helping out.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

WDR?

Which manufacturer's camera?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 31, 2017
IPVM

Serge, when you say "that a big part of the image is gone", do you mean the image is gone because its 'white' / overexposed or that its dark / in shadows.

I think we have a recent discussion that features a similar, though not exact issue. Here is his scene:

In yours, though the light source is closer but the outcome is similar in that other parts are now captured more darkly. Is that roughly correct? Do you have an image?

As Jay said, knowing what model you are using would help. Any picture you can share of the video?

IQ
Ino Quandus
Jul 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

It is a HIKVISION Turbo HD camera. The light is so bright that it lights up the image on half of the screen just like the headlights of a car would shine in your eyes, taking away the sight.

In low light tonight I can make a screen shot.

John I have read that discussion but this is a different problem, my image on the right side is half gone due to the bright light of the lamp that is only a couple of meters away on the right wall.

Brandon Knutson
Jul 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If it was my camera, here's the stuff I would try...

Play with the camera's exposure settings (WDR, BLC and certainly HLC if available).

Zoom and re-aim the camera lens to avoid the light.

Might replace the camera with a Bullet style with a sunshade if the current camera is a dome.

Move the camera or the light.

(1)
IQ
Ino Quandus
Aug 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hi Brandon, the zoom could work, indeed i want to focus on a view a bit more ahead, thanks 4 the tips.

Ethan Ace
Jul 31, 2017

You could try adjusting exposure on the camera. You can do so via the up the coax controls (should look similar to the video below). Try 1/60 of a second and see what effect it has. 1/120 may work as well if the scene if fairly well lit at night but beyond that, based on our past experience, the image will likely darken significantly and you'll lose detail.

Here is an overview of how up the coax control worked in our test:

(2)
IQ
Ino Quandus
Aug 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hi Ethan, I will try that. Just made some screen shots and the options I now have for remote adjusting. The cam summer course now comes in handy more quick than expected, but it's still hard understanding and adjusting all the settings :)

Bright light source taking away image

From the opposite cam

Remote image options

JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Serge, go to the next tab "Image Settings"

Look for backlight compensation or WDR. Something in that menu should help.

Video is for data settings primarily

Image is mostly quality settings

Not a hard rule but a general guideline as you can change data settings that affect quality but its a a general guideline.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions