Subscriber Discussion

Exacq Cloud Is Coming / Now Here

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 23, 2015

Stumbled across this today. I wonder what they are up to?

[Update: IPVM has confirmed this. Details inside.]

[Update: Exacq has redirected the http://exacq.net (which was showing the cloud page) to Exacq's main website.]

[Update September 2015: Exacq Cloud is released. More details inside.]

U
Undisclosed #2
May 23, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Perhaps they filled this Tyco job posting:

The POSITION

The SaaS architect will be responsible for developing the technical strategy to deploy scalable, affordable video services in public and private cloud infrastructures. Compared to other enterprise data sources, security video has unique challenges in leveraging the cloud. We envision an incremental approach to cloud-based services, ranging from health monitoring and mobile support through targeted video storage in the cloud.

Exacq is uniquely positioned amongst security video providers to use the cloud to deliver value to the customer through a service-based offering because of its native support for Linux, lightweight video server architecture, simple video storage approach, and edge-focused philosopy.

Responsibilities include:

Work with internal development teams to design or refine applications to take advantage of cloud infrastructure.
Work with infrastructure providers to facilitate services and metrics required for measurable and scalable service deployment.
Work with customers and product management to understand and deliver appropriate customer facing services and backend management tools
Documentation of internal and external requirements and processes
Develop and facilitate security, scalability, and reliability testing on SaaS products

(1)
JH
John Honovich
May 23, 2015
IPVM

A, thanks for sharing. I added a snapshot of the homepage to your opening comment.

They have owned this domain since 2007, according to the WhoIs record, however, they did not start using it until the past year, according to Archive.org.

I am going to ask Exacq but given that this is obviously not yet released, I am not expecting a lot of details :)

Jonathan Lawry
May 23, 2015
Trecerdo, LLC

Perhaps it has something to do with this configuration item, added to exacqVision 6.8.4 or maybe a little prior?

exacq

This seems to have all the markings of a cloud-based service.

U
Undisclosed #2
May 23, 2015
IPVMU Certified

What are you waiting for, type in http://exacq.net and let her rip!

Jonathan Lawry
May 24, 2015
Trecerdo, LLC

I of course had already done so, but I didn't want to look like a troublemaker in public. In any case, if you try that, you get:

lookup failed

U
Undisclosed #2
May 27, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Lookup Failed indicates DNS failure.

Try the IP: 67.222.132.212

might get a different error code at least. :)

JH
John Honovich
May 28, 2015
IPVM

Exacq's response:

"Exacq is developing a cloud service to supplement on-premise recorders. We anticipate a formal release late summer at which time I’ll be able to provide you with far more detail."

That's exciting as more cloud VMS competition should help spur adoption and further cloud upgrades from rivals.

Of course, how good it is depends on how they choose to implement and price it. I am hoping they provide cloud phone-home access option for all Exacq systems as that would solve the most common / basic problem of remote access (VPN / port forwarding / etc. issues). And hopefully they have learned from Genetec's error of trying to do a cloud only new platform (which Genetec has learned itself).

JH
John Honovich
Sep 26, 2015
IPVM

Exacq Cloud is now here. Right now, it's just health monitoring. They plan to add other cloud elements in the future.

Health monitroing is fine but limited compared to the potential for offering cloud video access or cloud recording.

See the Exacq Cloud Overview page.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Sep 26, 2015

Glad I've sold their Enterprise package just for the Enterprise Health Server for big bucks so they could give it away for free.

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Oct 05, 2015
I've been alpha/beta this product for Exacq for the past 6 months. This tool is amazing for me to get a daily digest of my customers server status along with camera status. This allows me to easily contact them for service. Most customers in the non enterprise market don't look everyday so it's helpful to have another set of eyes. Also this allows me to save all server configs from one console, which provides an instant config for when a server fails. Other things such as core throttling not when a camera is at night due to high H.264 allows me to tweak servers before video is missing. There's still some things to be disired but it almost a direct fork of their ESM product.
(1)
MT
Michael Terrizzi
Oct 05, 2015
I've been alpha/beta this product for Exacq for the past 6 months. This tool is amazing for me to get a daily digest of my customers server status along with camera status. This allows me to easily contact them for service. Most customers in the non enterprise market don't look everyday so it's helpful to have another set of eyes. Also this allows me to save all server configs from one console, which provides an instant config for when a server fails. Other things such as core throttling not when a camera is at night due to high H.264 allows me to tweak servers before video is missing. There's still some things to be disired but it almost a direct fork of their ESM product.
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Oct 05, 2015

How do you set it up or is it not fully released yet? Is there a cost involved?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Oct 05, 2015

I dont think its fully released. There was alot of setup involved and you will most likely need to inquiry Tyco to get ESM setup and add servers.

Inquire here https://www.exacq.com/products/cloud/form/

There definately a point to selling ESM to a company and Exacq Cloud.

ESM is for corporate enviroments that want details emails, configurations and notifcations on an enterprise level

Exacq Cloud is for small installs where the intergrator would be on the only one notified.

Requires a valid SSA right now.

Im monitoring about 40 machines with 1000+ cameras.

It does require some specific information in outbound configuration but I cant divulge my details. Each integratior needs their own instance.

Its been the best thing since sliced bread and has allow me to capture a customer base that cant monitor their own cameras all the time.

we dont charge for the service right now as we havent figured out a SLA or a cost that Exacq might charge us in the future.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions