Subscriber Discussion

Looking For NVR To Record UHD Cameras And Work With A NAS

TH
Truman HW
Sep 10, 2017

The interface on Dahua leaves a lot to be desired.

I want to use UHD Dahua cams (normally have good lighting - all is relatively short, indoor distance (15m max). 

HATE that Dahua only allows 1 hour export segments from Smart PSS (+glitch requiring entrance of wrong time!)

I don't want to pay exorbitant pricing for storage, and have both a QNAP and Synology NAS. QNAP with HDMI.

I'd like to use my NAS for iSCSI or NFS, if that's a reasonable means of storage and loses no features of the NVR. 

I'm impressed by the ability for Exacq to allow you to create an event that is a linear proof of wrongdoing.

Do my desired Dahuas have to be on Exacq's compatibility list to work?

They're ONVIF, so I presume they'll work - but I'll lose H.265+, for whatever it was worth, anyway.

H.265+ is a gimmick anyway, if I set my system up to only record on motion anyway I presume.

Would I lose the camera's smart features (which seems unlikely as they are setup via the IP of the camera's interface...).

UHD x 8 cameras at 20-30 FPS will require more hard drives than I'm willing to pay. 
Additional cameras will be lower resolution.
Dedicated NAS space will be 24GB, minimum, with 14 days being more than ample time.   

Suggestions?
Is there another NVR besides an Exacq I should look at?
If Exacq, which Exacq model would you recommend for the given frame rate x resolution (IP only, NAS storage)? 
What is the difference between the starter and enterprise camera licenses? 

Thank you all. I am a novice. I have been reading, and I LOVE this forum. So many knowledgeable people. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 10, 2017

I haven't tested it, but don't be surprised if some of the Dahua cameras will appear as Illustra in Exacq which would allow greater than ONVIF functionality. 

The Dahua toolkit has a bulk export tool and a conversion tool as well. 

As for iSCSI, I'm not a LUN fan.  To each their own. 

(1)
TH
Truman HW
Sep 10, 2017

Can you elaborate on that? I have a  which I can't make work properly with my Dahua NVR...

- SNF-8010P (Samsung/Techwin/Hanwha) -  Fisheye only, no correction options
- Hikvision DS-2CD2085FWD-I (experimental, doesn't work at all)

Should I define them as different products? 

EXCELLENT advice re: bulk... which I see there is [a] process for (though it's in the changlish-inference only category of explanations).

When I did work on exporting data, it would export using DAC as a file type - which of course, required I buy some crappy looking program which wouldn't even give me a 1 day trial.

Is .DAC a standard NVR file type?
Is there a program you'd recommend for that? 

Lastly, I have cameras that I'm going to sell below my cost, do you know of a good marketplace? 

Thanks again. GREATLY appreciate your time. 

UI
Sep 10, 2017

Dahua is an OEM/ODM for several manufacturers, one of which is American Dynamics.  See the IPVM list. 

I would not suggest connecting unsupported cameras to a Dahua recorder. Dahua has a list of supported cameras.

I am familiar with Dahua exporting as .DAV.  They have a factory viewer for free and the other tools I mentioned.

You should reach out to a Dahua person.

As ppfar as selling older test equipment.  eBay?

TH
Truman HW
Sep 10, 2017

Thank you again. :) 

Yes, I am finally going to do all Dahua equipment. Is there any reason not to order from companies off Alibaba if I don't need customer service later, and have a warranty from the vender? 

4x  IPC-HDBW81230E-Z           $1,300
3x  IPC-HDBW5830E-Z             $400
2x  IPC-EBW81230:                 $560
1x  SD6AL830V-HNI:               $1,030

Then, either a:

NVR608R-64 (redundant power) 
NVR616R-64 (redundant power)

...and using my synology with NFS as a local back up - and then streaming over a dedicated cable modem to my NAS at my home with a 7-day backup or so. 

(I have a Dahua now, but the incoming bit-rate probably isn't high enough, and it doesn't do RAID - so I'd have to rely on my local NAS).  

Home viewing system with a 4k display showing real-time... with audio available for all stations (I already have the legal signage up).

i7-7700 with sufficient specs to decode H.265 (kaby lake)... and a NKB1000 to manage the two PTZs I have. (I have another 2x 5MP IP PTZ now, of which I'll retire the one in front.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 10, 2017
IPVM

Truman, welcome!

If you just have 8 cameras, you may want to consider Milestone's free software version, Essential+. You can check to see if your Dahua cameras are on the supported list here. Main positive is that it's totally free, main negative is that this version does not support recording to network storage.

H.265+ is a gimmick anyway, if I set my system up to only record on motion anyway I presume.

I tend to disagree. If you choose to record on motion, it does reduce the benefit of smart codecs since you lose the dynamic long I frame interval. However, you still should benefit somewhat from the dynamic scene compression.

What is the difference between the starter and enterprise camera licenses?

If you want Exacq to record to a NAS, I believe you need to use the Professional version (which is in between Start and Enterprise) - see Exacq Features Matrix where it notes: " Extended storage Expand primary video and audio storage using exacqVision's S-Series or industry standard NAS" is not available in Start.

(1)
TH
Truman HW
Sep 10, 2017

Glad to hear that about 265+ ...but, then, the only way for the + to work is if the camera+NVR are by the same company, no? :) 

The price of the licenses would wind up being very similar to the cost of a 608R ... which will allow me not only to record to a local NAS, but a remote NAS, as well; no? 

What does Exacq do that you anticipate Dahua not? Also... this looks like it could be pretty nice, and cheap; pending on the max resolution it'll resolve:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMR8016U-16-CH-Megapixel-H-W-RAID-NVR-/201950881402?hash=item2f0535e67a:g:3sQAAOSwJAtZOZOT

JH
John Honovich
Sep 10, 2017
IPVM

.but, then, the only way for the + to work is if the camera+NVR are by the same company, no? :)

No, smart codecs typically work with 3rd party VMSes. The problem is H.265 working in some / many VMSes, e.g., Hikvision H.264+ worked with Exacq but H.265+ didn't, however that was an H.265 issue, not a "+" issue.

Is there any reason not to order from companies off Alibaba if I don't need customer service later, and have a warranty from the vender?

I think you're playing a risky game buying Dahua off Alibaba but I am fairly risk averse. We have not tested Dahua's NVRs but from testing many of their cameras, they can have quality issues and not having any support for an NVR is not something I would recommend.

If you want low cost, why not Hikvision? They have better overall quality than Dahua and you can readily buy authorized Hikvision at low cost, with support, etc.

Btw, one other question, why do you want 24TB for 8 cameras? That strikes me as a lot of bandwidth, especially since you say you plan for it to be motion based recording. Do you want full frame rate? Is there heavy motion in your scenes, etc.? I think you can do better saving money by reducing storage than buying from Alibaba.

TH
Truman HW
Sep 10, 2017

I need to watch and record my customers; I've decided that anyone who lies in a yelp review gets a VIDEO response, instead of a written essay. :)

Also need to watch my employees; small parts: M.2 SSDs, etc = PRICY. 

The wish list... and ideally, pretty close to the above budget:

4K/UHD ... (Though most are 12MP)
1/1.7" (big sensor series)
H.265+ 
Already own a Dahua NVR
Nice Fisheye (all above specs, as well)
4K PTZ with... the 1.7, H.265+ ... laser focusing (used primarily in daylight).

Those 10 cameras -- those features -- for a total of $3,400. 

Most of those are 30FPS at 4K. 

I'm hoping that Dahua cams to Dahua NVR makes the H.265+ best case. 

With Hikvision, I could buy a PTZ and a single dome camera... and make my payment to the people's republic of china. No? :) 

I can't even find Hikvision cameras with 1/1.7" and H.265+ ... they all say H.264. Slower frame rate at the higher resolutions, and I'd bet they have a slower DSP; as in, more lag between when the picture comes in and when it hits the NVR (if I explained that okay). 

Do I really need to sweat the quality of these? I'm paying paypal, and requesting that IN the invoice, anything that's defective has to be exchanged on the vendor's dime. 

Is the risk based on quality control? How substantial is the risk?

24TB is a lot. However, 3TB drives are cheap, and if you evaluate the URE factor of RAID arrays, you need to do RAID 6 with drives that have URE of 10^15th, which means 18TB using the fake calculation in which a TB = 1,000,000,000.

18TB actually = 16.7TB
4K, 30FPS... and who knows what my true usage will be. 

But yes, I will use H.265+, VBR, appropriate compression, masking of non-relevant space, etc. But the potential to have to roll back 30 days exists; someone could sell me something that's hot; and I'd want the perp's picture. 

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Sep 10, 2017
IPVM

4K PTZ with... the 1.7, H.265+ ... laser focusing (used primarily in daylight).

Which model is that? The 6AE830VNI? If so, we tested it here - poor results.  Though I think you might be using this one (not available in the US officially) though my understanding was that was laser illumination not focus.

Those 10 cameras -- those features -- for a total of $3,400.

If you are getting 10 4K PTZs at $340 each, that's amazing, almost hard to believe even for Chinese incredibly low standards. Is that correct?

I'm paying paypal, and requesting that IN the invoice, anything that's defective has to be exchanged on the vendor's dime.

I agree on paying paypal since paypal is very pro-buyer.

and make my payment to the people's republic of china. No? :)

Well, since Dahua is literally around the corner from Hikvision in Hangzhou, either way it is going to roughly the same place.

Listen, I am not going to push for you to use Hikvision but, if using those Dahua PTZs we tested, I'd be cautious about their quality.

(1)
(1)
TH
Truman HW
Sep 28, 2017

Of course, but you're testing that PTZ for use in the dark at large distance - my use is for relatively close, in daily, but where I can see very high detail. DUE to this conversation John, I'm completely switching my game plan; I will not be getting the laser version for my original intention, but might for a new rationale. 

Anyway, I want a milestone with a QNAP - do I REALLY have to buy one of the two QNAPS that are exorbitant? Or can virtually any of the QNAPS that are new models that have nice CPUs plausible candidates with a nice server..? 

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Sep 14, 2017

That 4K PTZ will be using the laser for IR illumination not focus, you will need to be careful about eye safety/liability issues related to this. You should request the NOHD distance from the seller, and ensure that you install it at a safe height where a human will not be within that distance when the laser is activated at night.

TH
Truman HW
Sep 10, 2017

This looks like a range that would reflect getting the value out of the cameras I have, roughly, no? 

JH
John Honovich
Sep 10, 2017
IPVM

Storage calculators can be wildly off.

One element that changes things is that you now have mentioned that these are PTZs. Are they going to be on a tour or how often are they going to move? The more they move, the more bandwidth goes (by a factor of 2x or 3x roughly). Related, usually storage calculators assume fixed cameras, since fixed cameras are most common.

(1)
TH
Truman HW
Sep 10, 2017

My cost on 3TB Enterprise HDD with 10^15th URE was about $70... 

But - I'd be very, very interested in any suggestions on Hikvision equipment that has the same specs that gets close to the pricing. Truly. 

H.265+
UHD at 30FPS
1/1.7" Sensor

especially any camera that gets close to that deal. :) 

TH
Truman HW
Sep 10, 2017

I usually use PTZ mode manually, though I was going to attempt to have it track faces it detects in a particular region. 

TH
Truman HW
Sep 10, 2017

Ah, no no, DEFINITELY not 10 PTZs for that price; if they were I'd be selling PTZs and quitting my day job. :) 

3x IPC-HDBW5830E-Z......$400.........1/1.7", H.265+, 4k @30FPS.............Dome
4x
IPC-HDBW81230E-Z...$1,300......1/1.7", H.265+, 4k @30FPS/12MP...Dome
2x IPC-EBW81230:...........$560.........1/1.7", H.265+, 4k @30FPS/12MP...Fisheye
1x SD6AL830V-HNI:........$1,030......1/1.7", H.265+, 4k @30FPS/12MP,...Laser, PTZ 

Bold numbers are quantities of each item, price is for the line item, total.

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 10, 2017

You started this thread saying "The interface on Dahua leaves a lot to be desired" and then you said "Yes, I am finally going to do all Dahua equipment".  I think you are focused to much on the fine details that really don't matter much.  Do you really need to record at 30FPS? 

From what your describing you will be using this system regularly to search and export video.   I would focus more on system usability.   I would pick a VMS like Milestone, Exacq or Avigilon over a Hik/Dah DVR/NVR any day and twice on Sunday.  Yes you will lose some of the deep integration between camera/NVR but most of these features are difficult to setup and not user friendly to use so they never get used.   

(1)
UI
Sep 10, 2017

This post has gone rogue.  

A fresh start on the goals to be met, how the system will be used, what issues may be present (like offloading video to the home), what brands are accessible, how will service be provided and so many more along with a budget.

Of course, that is the part a dealer plays. 

I'll say no more. 

TH
Truman HW
Sep 11, 2017

Recordings for up to a month of 10 UHD cameras recording in H.265+ at 30 FPS. 

I will make a backup of the NVR to my NAS via NFS. 

I'm searching for a cost effective means of streaming a copy of the data to my home NAS.

I will experiment with QNAP's newest joint venture with Dahua called QVR Pro.

It presently omits inclusion of Dahua's ultra series, but I think this is an omission, not an exclusion. 

I'm probably doing a poor job of covering your questions, but I'd be happy to answer anything specific - as I know that I'm the beneficiary of the effort by anyone who contributes. 

Thank you all in advance. 

TH
Truman HW
Sep 11, 2017

I wrote that in the middle of a crisis, where I was literally in the middle of discovered a bug that makes the export off by an hour on a particular version of their Smart PSS.

I also found the means to playback the .DAV file type... which essentially resolved the problems I had. My apologies for the misdirection. 

Brian McCarthy
Sep 13, 2017

.....lose the on-prem equipment and check out EagleEye's Cloud offering.  With 8 cameras I am not sure why anyone would buy hardware.  

(2)
TH
Truman HW
Sep 14, 2017

Another reason to use an NVR is because remotely, I'd be unable to use the features I want; to use the Fisheye's as a PTZ, etc. Those smart features can only be managed by an NVR, in aggregate as far as I could imagine. Nonetheless, it's still a VERY WISE suggestion. 

TH
Truman HW
Sep 14, 2017

I've had the internet go out for a day here or there. Never electricity. 

I doubt it changes your opinion at all, but it's more like 14, because there will be a few outside. 

Lastly, it's cheaper for me to do a line of sight extension to my residence than to pay another company, or life, no? 

(1)
TH
Truman HW
Sep 14, 2017

Does anyone know why there's a model revision between the: 

x81200x

x81230x

...and many others within the ultra smart series.... where the 0 was replaced by the 3 in accordance with their naming convention. 

Was this to denote that they were in beta testing? I just don't get it. Those with the 3 revision seem to have the same specifications. 

Lastly, IF ordering from china - yet receiving product with Dahua logo, does that change the product's reliability? Or is that just a marketing scheme to legitimize product that is illegitimate? 

Thank you all. 

JH
John Honovich
Sep 14, 2017
IPVM

Lastly, IF ordering from china - yet receiving product with Dahua logo, does that change the product's reliability?

Firmware could be different. Internal components could be different.

To be clear, I am not saying they will be. I don't know for that model at this time. But, in general, those are the two big risks.

(1)
Carlo Kuijer
Sep 15, 2017

Dear Truman,

To my knowledge, the 4K (UHD) lineup as you wrote down, is not capable of of doing 30 FPS@4K-HIGH, Yes it does do it in the calculator but in real live is won't allow you to do so. Also in combination with a NVR a special the limit of that platform also need to be taken into encounter.

The 4K@15-20FPS is the camera limit, depending on the NVR type this can be effected as well. Also when choosing a NVR you need to be sure that you get any bottleneck syndrome, all camera's on EVENT (VCA) based recording can cause your NVR to drop or even delay and skip those event recoding due to true-putt power, cash loads, Harddrive spinup time vs. harddrive buffering and CPU loads. Specially at 4K. This is why one NVR is costing 1000 USD and a other one 150 USD.

TH
Truman HW
Sep 21, 2017

Hi Carlo, I'm under the impression that the below units will provide me 4K at 30FPS... no? 

Samsung SNF-9000
Dahua IPC-HDBW81230E-Z
Dahua IPC-EBW81230
Dahua SD6AL830V-HNI

...would be wrong to believe so?

I'm going to get this NVR:

NVR616R-64-4KS2

... says it'll do 384Mbs incoming in RAID-5, which seems like it's setting the bar low for 8 drives minimum I'll have in there... as each drive has a write speed of over 100MB/s (~160MB/s when they're new), of which, 800Mb/s -- and in RAID.

Of course, the challenging part is getting a drive to read and write anything near simultaneous - which I think is the best reason for having dedicated drives for read while the others write, and then allow those that were reading (playing) to catch up later... 

Carlo Kuijer
Sep 21, 2017

Dear Truman,

I don't know all the detailed specifications but by just looking at the manufacturing specifications released on the website, you're right.

The NVR chosen can playback 128 Mbps in RAID5 (16MBs) and record 384 Mbps (48Mbs) to you won't have any issue with your hard drives, If you take the WD's you'll see that they can reach >200 MBs read and >200 MB/s write with ease.

Your issue will indeed be the limit of the RAID5 Writing speed of max. 384Mbs. They don't specify there SAS, else this can be a solution for you as well. depending on the CHIPSET (SAS-3) they use it can support up to 12Gbps (1500 MBs) and even on the last SAS-4 standard you can go up to 22.5Gbps (2212.5MBs)

Kind regards, Carlo

TH
Truman HW
Sep 24, 2017

Hi Carlo, thanks for taking the time to write back. Hard drives (not RAID, precisely, though I'm pretty knowledgable on it) are my forte. 

You're a rare instance of someone who was precise in switching between the speeds the cable or chipset would support... as it is represented in Mb/s, and the drives are - in MB (1/8th, theoretical). But, to assume that the cable's theoretical speeds are representative of real world is error 1. I believe the standard overhead (depending on the both the drive controller, the RAID controller (which is usually soft-RAID which is pretty pathetic that QNAP will charge thousands and not have dedicated RAID hardware) as well as the devices receiving the data. 

- USB 2.0, NEVER do I see it get over 35MB/s. And 480Mb/s is 60MB/s! < 45%. 
- FW800 (aka 100MB/s) ... With an EVO 850, you might get 70MB/s, or 70%. 
- SATA 3 which is 6000/8 = 750MB/s but NEVER gets over 550MB/s. 

BUT, regardless of this overhead which I've never seen below 20%, I've also seen 8x HGST 7K4000 get 900MB/s with a hardware RAID controller, IN a Mac Pro. No SSDs in it; just spinning drives (and I have the pictures still.) 

That all said, I believe these people here; I believe there's variables that, while perhaps no one here has defined it with their OWN proprietary nomenclature for this overhead -- it's definitely a factor. 

Personally, I've always liked the 7K4000 drives, including their 10^15th URE incidence, general low failure rate, and, high plausibility of being recovered should it fail; which is one of the things that differentiate a drive that's enterprise from run of the mill. 

The inference I have, and what I'm waiting to hear someone say and have resisted putting words in people's mouths, is that the DSP and/or CPU on the cameras are a huge factor.

CodEc would be closer to appropriate capitalization, as the job of the DSP/CPU is to ENCODE the raw stream in to the format the manufacture chooses. If we could have them generally install Kaby Lake CPUs, they'd have the codec installed, natively. But I'd imagine that even the cheapest Kaby Lake isn't cheap when you consider the B.O.M. that gets rolled in to the cost. As it is, there's about a 2 second lag with the first gen of IP cameras I had... they were cheapo "Cantonk" cameras. In contrast, the Samsung SNB-9000N is less than half that time - but uses the H.264 - which is probably native. 

Anyway, I'm still learning from everyone's continued contributions, and as always feel lucky to be here. 

Mike Dotson
Sep 15, 2017
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

The Axis P1428 is a cam capable of 4K-30FPS.   I recently got on in my lab.

A decent bit rate with motion in the scene will be 14-16Mbits at 30FPS with even indoor lighting.

I also know the the Milestone 2017 R2 code level works well with this camera and you can use a network storage device provided the bandwidth can be accommodated.  The use of iSCSI is recommended over NAS from a performance perspective.

You will want to have a system that supports the Intel QSYNC to handle this type of cam efficiently on the CPU.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Sep 24, 2017

Mike I don’t recommend the P14 cam, the new generation of 4K cams with zip stream and wdr are so much better: 

P3228/P1368 - my cam does 600k with no motion and 3-6 Mb with plenty of activity in the scene at 25fps

(1)
Mike Dotson
Sep 25, 2017
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

Looks like I already need a new 4K cam ;-)

Indeed I have seen the difference in Axis cams that have Zipstream included vs ones without as the baseline bitrates are still lower in the busy scenes.

MD
Mark Davis
May 20, 2018

Any chance you have compared the P3228 to a Q3517?  How does the P3228 do in low light?

-mark

TH
Truman HW
Sep 24, 2017

I really would love something with Kaby Lake in it - it has native HEVC codec... 

Is there a capture card or something to that effect that the VMS server has any reason to run? 

TH
Truman HW
Sep 27, 2017

Obviously, I've had a LOT of catching up to do to figure out what I can use as supported hardware to use Milestone; and though I think there's a consensus in here that assumes I'm thick headed and asking questions in which I only want to hear answers that I've preselected, that's untrue. 

I've just been spending the time I could have been saying "thank you, and oh, and which one" with watching videos, reading matrices, etc.

CAN I build my own unit to make an Express+ or Professional+ unit for myself...? and connect it to pretty much any QNAP iSCSI compatible (late model) hardware? I want to make my own unit... 

Also, is there a Client (not server) for Mac?

TH
Truman HW
Sep 23, 2017

30 FPS at UHD

What do they compromise on when it's set at 4k @ 30FPS - with an H.265+ codec... ?  Today I'm going to get the SNB-9000 mounted. :) 

I have mid-range QNAP NAS with iSCSI. In what way would a Milestone outperform the Dahua? Is it because they use better CPUs?

I'd love to find something that has Kaby Lake CPU or compatible socket to upgrade. :) 

If someone is competent at building a PC, is it better to home-build a PC and use (is Milestone available this way?) or other VMS? If so, which would be the best to use for someone who's not thoroughly knowledgable about the nomenclature within a VMS and needs one that doesn't require me to look up every phrase...? 

Whats the price of the Milestone 2017 R2? And do I have to pay for each license, annually?  

Will Milestone work with my variety of equipment? Now SOME Hikvision, some Dahua, some Techwin/Samsung, Bosch, and it appears..... Axis. :) 

Is there a PCI card + Free VMS software that I can use with a QNAP that would outperform a Dahua 616 ? 

I also picked up a Bosch model: Bosch NIN-70122-F0 - Would that work better than the Dahua 12MP H.265 ?  The Bosch is H.264 only.

I can buy the axis cameras if it'll truly make a big difference... and would rather not screw up buying this for myself a third time. First time, Frys, thinking getting something quick would be fine. Then let myself trust someone who claimed to be an expert - and have since decided to spend months trying to read about stuff when I'm not working. FWIW, I own a tech company, so at least understanding tech-talk isn't a problem. 

As always, thank you both for the assistance. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions