Subscriber Discussion

What The? A Dummy DVR?

CD
Chris Dearing
Dec 05, 2013

Apparently in on the Indian sub-continent DVR 'snatching' is quite a serious matter...

Look at these two proposals one small,

This is with reference to our meeting in your office and survey regarding installation of DVR in your site office near Saffora Goth.

Learning from the last incident of snatching DVR by dacoits, we will do the installation of actual DVR in the hidden place to avoid snatching and in the front a dummy DVR will be installed, this dummy DVR will be look alike a working DVR and it will difficult to for burglars to understand that this is a dummy. This will provide the safety to the actual DVR and your valuable recording.

the other rather large.

4. Installation of Dummy DVR (Digital Video Recorder)

The dummy DVR must be shown in functional (apparently connected
with cables) give a look of a functional recording device and should be
properly placed in branch.

But this just begs the question, which dummy VMS should I use?

Brian Rhodes
Dec 05, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Apparently, root cause analysis deemed buying fake DVRs was the best solution to the problem?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 05, 2013
IPVM

Wow, I had no idea that there were dummy DVRs. I am kind of stunned.

Daniel S-T
Dec 05, 2013

I had heard/seen disguising DVR in a metal can (Digital Watchdog had a few models) but never heard of dummy DVR. Kind of weird, kind of neat.

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Dec 05, 2013
IPVMU Certified

we replaced a bunch of analog customers a couple years back with a mp system... we set the customers old dvr in a utility room until they could figure out what they wanted to do with it... a few weeks later the office was broken into and the intruders stole the old dvr thinking it was functioning... they must have overlooked the actual server (in another location however) thinking it was a pc...

the idea of a dummy dvr is a unique one... maybe now manufacturers will have something to do with all their old outdated boxes... convert them to dummies...

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 06, 2013

This is probably what happens when non-technical people dictate what is needed and small time contractors just say 'yes sir' to grab some business and make a profit by getting rid of some old junk lying with them. Unfortunately, it is not very rare to come across such customers in India. This one was most likely a bank branch paying lip service to the idea of having a security (CCTV) installation. I have seen several bank branches where the DVR is kept on a table behind or to the side of the branch manager in plain view of all customers walking by his cabin and with the cameras connected where they are within easy reach of a vandal.

RS
Rajesh Solanki
Dec 06, 2013

I am doing business in India and I'm not aware of any such trend to install fake DVRs. Why would anybody not simply focus to secure the DVR in a proper metal or wood enclosure instead of working so much on a fake dvr? Escapes me.

Rv
Rogier van der Heide
Dec 06, 2013

The first thing that comes to mind is, what do they use to weight it down ? Bricks ?
#1 supplier of fake dvr's, Brickvision

JH
John Honovich
Dec 06, 2013
IPVM
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Dec 06, 2013
And would you pay license fees on all the cameras, or just the dummy ones?
JH
John Honovich
Dec 06, 2013
IPVM

The software upgrades are what really makes this expensive ;)

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Dec 06, 2013

While I couldn't see investing in "dummy DVRs", I do think it is important to leverage all possible deterrence when securing a video system. Certainly it is important to secure the actual device in some sort of hardened structure (lockbox etc). That said, in a previous multi store upgraded (400+ locations) we left the old recording device (typically a time lapse VHS) in place with one dummy tape inside. We had multiple situations where suspects burglarized the locations and simply took the tape versus attempting to remove or destroy the recording (in some jurisdictions they would have had plenty of time due to minimal LE resources for burglar type calls). Overall, I certainly agree that properly security the actual device is priority # 1 but don't look past simple steps solely because it seems below us.

I should also note I see this approach working better in small box retailers etc where the typical suspect is not quite as skilled ones in higher end incidents.

JC
Jason Clement
Dec 06, 2013

I have to say I actually think this is a good idea. Like the above poster says this is just another small piece of the puzzle. Let someone think they just stole the recorder and all the video. I also agree that this is best for small retailers.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 06, 2013
IPVM

Serious question: Wouldn't I also need to connect coax cables to the back of the dummy DVR? And how long do they need to be and where do I put them so the criminal does not see its fake?

JH
Jim Hall
Feb 28, 2014

Serious answer: I advise you think twice 'fore you go hooking up 8 BNC barrel connectors to the rear of that fake dvr, theives will take your whole soffit with 'em when they rip it out!  What folks do 'round here is use these bnc to rca adapters to rca cables at the back of the dvr, provides just the right amount of resistance that VCR theives have come to expect.  

If your runnin a live in-store monitor for patron view, make sure and run your feed thru that adapter and then tee it to your monitor. You can't imagine the happy looks you will get from your rustlers when the displays go dark because the dvr was 'ripped'...

Daniel S-T
Dec 07, 2013

In my mind, I would thing to have the cables long enough to go right into the wall, even a few extra feet inside the wall. Or if you don't want a hole in your wall, maybe a stub of conduit/wiremold up to the ceiling? A little more work, but makes it look that much more real.

JT
Jason Thiele
Dec 09, 2013

Dummy DVR's, to go with the dummy cameras.

Now, I take it one would then hide the real DVR completly out of sight or behind a hidden panel?

MI
Matt Ion
Mar 01, 2014

I'll wait for a paper DVR, to go with my paper cameras!

JP
Jason Pfau
Apr 28, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Years ago, we did a couple of jewelry stores that had 2 VCR's, both were hooked up, one was fairly obvious and the other was tucked away in another office or secured room/drawer. It worked one time when thieves came in, robbed the store and took the tape out of the vcr.

Not that the 300 TVL cameras did much back then.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions