Subscriber Discussion

Ethernet Over Coax Product Feedback

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Sep 13, 2016

I need a material or any information regarding the Ethernet over coax .

Is it used in any application  ??

JH
John Honovich
Sep 13, 2016
IPVM
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Sep 13, 2016

I used to use Veracity Hardwire. However, due to the constant failures of the equipment I have switched over to NVT.

For point to point applications use 2 x NV-ET1801 units with a 60-90W power supply.

What's nice about NVT is that you can power either end of the equipment for long runs from 600ft to 2000ft depending on the type of coax. Additionally if you have existing Cat5 wire, you can extend to 800ft for a single IP camera with POE (check specs). Lastly, if you have 18/2 or better cable, you can add BNCA adapters at each end and convert to BNC which can run over those longer cable lengths.

I have had great success with these units (including the NV-ER1804).

Note: I am NOT promoting their brand; I am simply telling you what works reliably for me. Those service call charges are not worth it to return to the site for failing equipment.

CS
Carl Schroeder
Sep 14, 2016

What are you using for a more structured install where you have say 32 coax lines. Is there a rack mounted unit instead of these 1-1 units that you have used?

UI
Sep 14, 2016

Yes, you can use 2 x NV-ER1816i units that drive 2 x 16 coax feeds to distant end NV-ER1801/1804 devices.

Please be aware that NVT discontinued these units. However you can still purchase them from certain distributors or EBay (Warning, the eBay models may have multiple port failures, so be careful there)

What I like most about the ER1816i is that you have an embedded Ethernet management server that can view power consumption, MAC addresses, devices connected, etc. which is nice for remote reboots/diagnostics.

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 14, 2016

Check out Vigitron.. they have 1U rack mount solutions.

UI
Sep 14, 2016

How is the reliability of the Vi2616? For $3000, I would imagine it's rock solid.

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 14, 2016

U2 Manufacture... No issues so far with any of our Vigitron installed.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Sep 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We have used the HIKVISION DS-1H05-16R with excellent results. They have several different variations to choose from for reasonable cost.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions