Subscriber Discussion

Engenius Or Ubiquiti?

MB
Marc Blanchard
Mar 29, 2014

Hello,

I have been considering trying out the Ubiquiti product line for camera connectivity. So far I have used Engenius because that's what I first used 4 years ago and I have had pretty good success with their outdoor APs and Client Bridges. We have installed close to 100 units or so so I'm fairly familiar with them. I see that Ubiquit is a common choice amongst wireless installers. In all my installations I only installed one Ubiquiti product..i think it was the pico station or something like that because we need to fit something very small in an enclosure, but that's it.

We have had pretty good success with the Engenius, but maybe the Ubiquiti is superior to it? Anyone have experience with both of these products?

Marty Major
Mar 29, 2014
Teledyne FLIR

Mark,

Is there something specific that you feel you are missing with Engenius? i.e. features that Ubiquiti might have that Engenius doesn't?

I'm curious because I'm a large fan of sticking with what works. :)

But I have extremely limited exposure to these things... what are some of the known differences/features in manufacturers besides cost?

MB
Marc Blanchard
Mar 30, 2014

I find it kind of odd because Engenius doesn't seem to be very well known in the security industry and I do hear from other guys.. "never heard of them". Ubiquiti seems to be a lot more popular, so I thought maybe there's something I'm missing out on here. I'm always looking to see where improvements can be made also.

One feature I would like to see with Engenius (which I am not aware that they offer) would be to have a management application that can show you all of your deployed APs and bridges on one page. Like you can with IP cameras. I have one site that has 8 ENH500 units, another that has 6, so to manage them all you need to log into each one individually and I'm switching back and forth from my own list of units and their assigned IP number. Curious if Ubiquiti has a utility or something where you can see all your devices on your LAN. And if there was a utility that can monitor the health of units over the WAN that would be sweet. Milestone XProtect has that feature as of recent and I'm loving it. It's always good when you know about the problem first and you can proactively contact your customer rather than having the customer phone you and wondering why his camera(s) are down. That has happened from time to time with the Engenius products, but latley I've been setting them up to do daily reboots and that seems to clear any intermittent hiccups.

AK
Alex K
Mar 30, 2014

"Curious if Ubiquiti has a utility or something where you can see all your devices on your LAN. And if there was a utility that can monitor the health of units over the WAN that would be sweet."

Check Ubiquiti website for

airView – Advanced spectrum analyzer functionality: waterfall, waveform, and real-time spectral views allow operators to identify noise signatures and plan their networks to minimize noise interference.

airSync *Only GPS series – Synchronizes transmission by GPS series devices to eliminate co-location transmit interference.

airControl - a powerful and intuitive web based server network management application which allows operators to centrally manage entire networks of Ubiquti devices.

MB
Marc Blanchard
Mar 30, 2014

Thanks Alex,

I was looking at their website and they have info on setting up point to point at 24Ghz! (Not 2.4) with claimed bandwidth up to 1.4Gbs. Very Interesting. I would like to see how a point to point solution (in the 5Ghz) with Ubiquiti stacks up against the Engenius ENH500.

Are you an avid user and/or installer of Ubiquiti? Any suggested model(s) for outdoor point to point 5Ghz transmission? Also, do you know if their utility can show you actual data transmission speed on a point to point connection?

Engenius units will show 300Mbs on the N band with a strong conection, but I know that is theoretical and not actual.

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 30, 2014

About 6 years ago, Engenius owned that market of outdoor wisp equipment. Then they ran into some problems in high-traffic environments that would cause their throughput to bog down. That was right at the time Ubiquiti was launching, and there was a massive switch from Engenius to Ubiquiti. At the time, IIRC, Engenius was making other odd equipment like cordless phones.

Recently, they seem to have solved any old issues and focused more directly on wisp equipment. I haven't used any of their recent gear, but I've heard lots of good things about it. If it's working well for you and you're making decent margins, the reasons for switching seem minimal.

Michael Votaw
Mar 30, 2014

Any word on what Firetide is up to? They appeared to be the leading manufactuerer at least from a marketing standpoint, but I've heard nothing out of them for a few years now? I did one deployment with them which has had some minor issues, but Ubiquiti appears to be the leader now when you talk to guys doing that work every day.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 30, 2014
IPVM

Firetide was the leader in spending VC money. Now that their VC money has essentially dried up, that's why you don't hear from them.

Firetide's main differentiators compared to Ubiquiti is their mesh products for larger scale surveillance systems and mobile handoffs (for trains / mobile). Both are niches overall.

Recent coverage on Firetide: Cisco Exec to Lead Firetide and Firetide Introduces Lower Cost Line

Ari Erenthal
Mar 30, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Anyone use Amped Wireless? They seem to make a pretty solid product, plus US based tech support. I've sold a bunch of them with not much feedback, positive or negative.

NOTICE: This comment has been moved to its own discussion: Anyone Used Amped Wireless?

Luis Carmona
Mar 30, 2014
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

We used Engenius a couple times for single device point to point connections. Then we tried using a pair of Super G bridges for 4 cameras and they failed miserable on their promised spec's, then tech support verified their shortcomings. So we tried Ubiquiti and been using them ever since. But that was over 3 years ago.

More recently a little over a year ago we seemed to have a run of bad Ubiquiti units that were causing network problems until we installed some beta firmware. Took awhile for tech support to straighten it out.

Ubiquiti has a great built in throughput tester that tests between two units, paired wirelessly or across wired connections.

Those are our experiances, hope they help.

MB
Marc Blanchard
Mar 31, 2014

That is helpful info Luis. That's kinda what I'm looking for. Some feedback from folks actually using these on camera installations. It would definately be beneficial to have the feature of testing the throughput so that you can know what that link can actually handle, instead of loading it up with one or two too many cameras because you are guestimating it based on the specs. I don't even count on half of what the specs say. If it says it's 300 MBps, I'm guessing it might be a third of that in the real world. Again..just guessing unless I have some type of software or utility to test the actual throughput.

Thanks

AK
Alex K
Mar 31, 2014

Google network stress test

Luis Carmona
Mar 31, 2014

"If it says it's 300 MBps, I'm guessing it might be a third of that in the real world."

In the wireless world, just like in the wired world, there is what's called overhead. Bandwidth is your highest theroretical "pipe size" for pushing data through. Packet addressing and error correction takes a certain percenatge of of the bandwidth from actual data transfer. Throughput is your theoretical pipe size for actual data after the percentage of overhead is taken into account.

In wirless data, actual throughput is around 50% of bandwidth. So yes, 300mbs bandwidth means about 150mbs at most of actual throughput.

PG
Paul Galburt
Mar 31, 2014

I installed Ubiquiti A/P recently. It worked fine and was quite feature rich as compared to an equivalent Engenius. There were a few wrinkles caused by the added complexity. For example, the unit "remembered" the WAN address of my office internet connection (where I did test and setup) and so would not work properly that the customer's location until this was reset. I had never seen that behavour before.

DG
Dwayne Grant
Mar 31, 2014

Luis, what are you using to power the ip camera and Ubiquiti radio at each location? Im guessing one switch for the camera’s and the radio’s cat wire, separate poe injectors for camera and the radio as the radio is not 802.3af compatible. For outdoor locations are the components in a weather proof enclosure?

Luis Carmona
Mar 31, 2014

Dwayne, Ubiquiti actually has adapters that convert 802.3af to the 16v PoE power required for the bridges, so we use regular PoE switches to power the bridges.

Ubiquiti - Democratizing Professional Network Technology

They have outdoor and indoor adapter versions, but we only use the outdoor versions. They also act surge supressors, and Ubiquiti actually told us not to connect surge suppressors inline with them which caused problems. Nice things also is they act as a repeater, so you can extend your run.

Funny you should ask about weatherproof since it also relates to Engenius: the units we mostly use are the Nanostations and Nanobridges and are outdoor rated, so we don't put them in an enclosure, and we haven't seen yet a device fail due to weather intrusion. However, I did get back an Engenius outdoor bridge that had been outside for just over a year and when I opened it up it looked like it had no weather protection at all with lots of water and mold damage inside. Another reason why I dropped the Engenius in favor of Ubiquiti.

DG
Dwayne Grant
Mar 31, 2014

Luis thank you for the information, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Again thanks

Dwayne

VT
Victor Telfer
Apr 01, 2014
We have installed quite a few of these, one to monitor a construction site, we found that even when we got to the fourth story, where the transmitter was completely behind the building we still had 60-70% signal strength at 200 meters on 3 towers. We had 2 3 MP Cams and an Optex Redscan, Milestone Essential. Unfortunately the building was arsoned before we could complete the work. Set up for 7 point system we are doing today took about 45 mins, they are very easy for camera set ups. Just pick your country, access point or station, and set the IP, done. I've only had one bad unit so far. At $100 I don't see a reason to shop around at this point, even if there is no live tech support that I have seen yet. If anyone knows of a company that could provide "paid for" tech support on more complicated set ups, I would appreciate.
Luis Carmona
Apr 01, 2014

I too wish Ubiquiti had live technical support and I've actually been looking around for other competitive products that can bring similar value along with more accessible support. However, some resellers offer themselves as tech suppport as a value added proposition, and I think that may be Ubiquiti's intention - save on costs by not offering live tech suppport and leave it to trained and certified resellers to be the tech suppport as a value add for buying the products from those resellers willing to do live tech support.

VT
Victor Telfer
Apr 01, 2014
Sometimes I wish there was no tech support when I get patched thru to India. I'm going to take a course or two
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions