Subscriber Discussion

End User: Managing 1,000 Camera Systems And Handling Cybersecurity

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jun 13, 2018

200% agree with U3. I'm not yet at 1000 cameras but when you really start to manage that size environment the way we are supposed to (actively), you have to consider a companys approach to cybersecurity, their management tools, and how that all will fit in with your process for actively managing this environment. 

There are alot of little things that should eliminate a camera from your list of potentials when you start talking about 1000 camera systems. Management tools become really important at that point in my experience. 

I feel like anyone with that size investment (licensing for1000 cameras on genetec isnt cheap,)  can afford to buy a camera thats well supported by the vms you are invested in and is manufactured by someone that responds well to issues, is proactive regarding security, and communicates with their customers/partners well. 

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Using Lower Cost Cameras With 1000+ Genetec System

JH
John Honovich
Jun 13, 2018
IPVM

I made this its own thread because I think it's useful to draw more attention between the differences of dealing with smaller and larger systems.

Those more focused on 4 - 8 camera systems rightfully point out that management and cybersecurity are typically a secondary concern but often wrongfully fail to appreciate that in larger systems, the value of saving some money upfront in hardware purchases is often outweighed by longer-term management and support considerations.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions