Subscriber Discussion

Enclosure Heater Recommendations, Please.

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Dec 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Can anyone recommend a compact enclosure heater that they have used that works well?  Would prefer it to be thermostatically controlled. 

I incorrectly ordered the wrong enclosure for a project from L-Com and instead of getting one with a heater that turns on at 40 Degrees F it turns on at 16 Degrees F.  So my option is either to order the 40 Degree F enclosure and install that one or find an additional heater.  

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Brian Rhodes
Dec 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

What kind of input voltage do you need it to use?

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Dec 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Brian,

Sorry I should have stated that.  The enclosure currently has 120VAC available inside of it.  So it could be a 120VAC unit with either a plug, direct wire or with a XFMR.

MM
Michael Miller
Dec 30, 2016

What equipment do you have in the enclosure?  What are the outside temps?

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Dec 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Michael,

VMA-AS1-8P4 is inside of it.  Regarding temps that will vary a bit in the winter (North Dakota), it is not uncommon to see -20 for a week or two at times.  The average I would say it about 20 - 25 Degrees F in January/February which are the cold months.   

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Dec 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Sorry, hit enter too soon.  20 - 25 would be a high.  5 - 10 would be an average low in Jan/Feb.

MM
Michael Miller
Dec 30, 2016

Why the windows box over the Linux box or ES cameras?

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Dec 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Michael,

The original setup was not supposed to be an enclosure, that was last minute change due to customer request. 

Brian Rhodes
Dec 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Disclaimer: I live in a part of the world where heated enclosures are not needed for more than a few days each year.

Here's one idea: Install a standard 120VAC lightbulb socket, and use an edison screw base heater. You'll need some wattage (100W - 200W), but you likely already have it to spare.

You can find an el-cheapo thermostat at Radio Shack and wire it in series to fire the heater when the temp drops below 40F.

(1)
KL
Keefe Lovgren
Dec 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Got a heater and tstat on order.  Thank you.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions