Subscriber Discussion

Emergency Voice Messaging System Message For Active Shooter Situations?

Ross Vander Klok
Oct 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

End users do you have a specific message you play over your EVMS system for an active shooter or related type of violence?  Integrators have you ever programmed a specific message for active shooter at a client?  We are trying to determine if just using the normal evacuate message is sufficient or if we should go with a specific directed message.  So trying to figure out what others have done.

Also not interested in what system you currently use or what system you sell/recommend.  I know there are systems that text/email/call/etc. Not interested.  I am just interested in the above question about the message. 

(1)
Brandon Knutson
Oct 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I've read and been taught to broadcast something more specific than a general or fire evacuation message. Reason being that it's not always desirable to draw occupants out into main corridors. A specific active shooter message should advise of the incident; to exit if safe to do so, or to barricade in-place.

If you were in a building with an active shooter incident, how much info would you want?

(1)
(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Oct 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Obviously as much info as possible, but this is a prerecorded message not a live broadcast.

I like the "advise of the incident; to exit if safe to do so, or to barricade in-place" idea. Doesn't have to be specific, but gets the point across that this is not a "normal" emergency.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Oct 24, 2016

A default, pre-recorded, message on a similar system is: "ATTENTION: There is an emergency in the building. Evacuate the building in an orderly fashion. Follow all instructions given by emergency responders."

This may be the "normal evacuate" message you refer to, yet I thought it was worth sharing.

(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Oct 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yes, that is the normal type of evacuate message I am referring to. For sure worth sharing though because this is exactly the info I am after. Thanks!

Cory Franek
Oct 24, 2016

I think it sounds like a good idea but not something I would rely on independently during an Active Shooter situation. Text message is vastly more responsive in my experience and also spreads like wild fire. What exactly is your thinking behind a VMS message, who would be the recipient?

(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Oct 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

In the specific facilities over the loudspeakers is our current system, so everyone/anyone in the facility. Guests, clients, employees, vendors, visitors, etc.

Text messaging sounds like a logistical nightmare. Especially in this age of BYOD.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 24, 2016

Recently set up a high school EVMS for "lock down".

"Message" is an emergency tone "three long beeps) to get peoples attention followed by a prerecorded message that states: "The school has been placed in lock down. Please follow lock down procedures"

This sequence repeats three times and then stops.

The school was clear that lock down notification should be very clear and unique from any other emergency since the response protocol is very different.

(1)
(3)
JE
Jim Elder
Oct 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Current thinking is that an attention tone (something different than the fire alarm or other types of signals) followed by a calm voice message customized to the location. The person recording it should be the principal or whoever else does the normal messaging. It should also include a procedural reference (i.e. "follow lockin procedure"; "follow lockout procedure" etc.

All of this is a bit useless without good policy, training, exercise and enforcement. I also agree with Corey about the messaging; but i would suggest that push notifications be employed along with the text.

Your customer should be very careful about who messages are sent to outside the school. Although parents should be notified, the content of the message should be different... least you have a mob of terrified parents show up at the school.

There are a number of websites that have script recommendations, including scripts for specific types of messaging. I would advise you to be very careful about the message content. If you are an integrator, i would let others make the decision and you just set it up for them. You may want to suggest that a "Committee" be appointed (they should already have one) to best ensure all minds are used in the decision. If the school has police or security, involve them as well.

You can facilitate, but should not be the decision maker. I think your attorney would agree with me.

(5)
(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 24, 2016

Jim is right on, exactly what we implemented.

The last line is the most important one for integrator's.

(2)
Ross Vander Klok
Oct 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified
Thanks Jim! Exactly type of info I am after. I will check out the links.
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions