Subscriber Discussion

Electric Strike Model Suggestion For This Mortise Lockset

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 12, 2017

Hope the pictures give enough detail.   I don't do a lot of mortise locks and would appreciate a second opinion before I start cutting on the frame.  I was thinking the HES 8500 series but am open to better alternatives if they are out there.

Thanks in advance

MA
Michael Amaro, P.E., PSP, CPTED
Jun 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The 8500 wont work for this actually because you have the dead bolt.  Might have to go with like an HES 1006 for the deadbolt option. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 12, 2017

Thanks Michael, you have validated my decision to throw this out here for a second opinion.  

I went to the HES web site and noticed there are 3-4 1006 models.  

http://www.hesinnovations.com/en/site/hesinnovations/products/electric-strikes/1006-series1/

One is the CDB which states that it would work with locks with the 1" deadbolt.  From the pictures above, does that look like the correct model?

Brian Rhodes
Jun 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The HES 1006 seems to be a good series choice, the CDB kit with the ND face looks like it would work.  

Since this is a perimeter door, I'd also use an inline rectifier (ie: SmartPAC III) that also includes an MOV to lower inrush voltage and protect against damaging the power source when the solenoid turns off.

MA
Michael Amaro, P.E., PSP, CPTED
Jun 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

No problem.

It looks correct, but I would measure the existing strike plate.  If its 4 7/8" it should work for you.  

Hope that helps

Mike

SD
Shannon Davis
Jun 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

When you turn the key from the outside does it unlock the dead bolt or the plunger. Is the outside handle always locked? If so the 1006 will work. You can get the deadbolt option if they would ever use the dead bolt for more security. If it only locks with the dead bolt and the handle always retracts the plunger this they will have to change the lock. Strikes don't typically work with a deadbolt other than for more security. They would have to unlock the dead bolt first in order to use the strike.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions