Subscriber Discussion

Effectiveness Of Thermal Cameras In Hot Enviroments

TG
Tim Gerback
Feb 06, 2013
IPVMU Certified

How well would a thermal camera work in a very warm enviroment (i.e. desert like)? I would think at night when things cool down there wouldn't be a problem but during the day as things heat up and the ambient temperature reaches / exceeds body temperature (and objects in the field of view heat up as well) the camera would become ineffective. Is my thinking correct?

JH
John Honovich
Feb 06, 2013
IPVM

In a word, yes. The closer the subject's temperature is to the ambient temperature, the lower the contrast between the two.

We found this in our 2010 Axis thermal test we did in Hawaii - see results.

PK
Pushkar Katiyar
Feb 07, 2013

"The closer the subject's temperature is to the ambient temperature, the lower the contrast between the two."

Just curious about ways to beat the thermal camera... could a fire retardant suit work?

Ethan Ace
Feb 07, 2013

Even here in PA, in the midst of our thermal testing, it can be difficult to see warm subjects against sun-soaked background areas, on days when the temperature is nowhere even close to body temperature. Some manufacturers are better than others with this, and it depends greatly on range and FOV. At least one manufacturer explained that this is why visible/thermal combo units are as commonly available as they are, because "crossover" temperature conditions are the hardest to deal with for thermal, but may be much less so for visible cameras.

RM
Rachel Miller
Feb 07, 2013

I would venture to say that "HOT" environmnts a large market for Thermal cameras i.e. boarder patrol and desert military applications.

Ethan Ace
Feb 07, 2013

It's true, partly because those entities have the budget for them more than in commercial applications. Also, in those locations, even if the thermal camera isn't as effective during the day, there's generally no light available at range at night, so thermal is often the only option for detection.

RM
Rachel Miller
Feb 07, 2013

Great point Ethan in regards to havig the budget. DRS is the only copany I'm aware of with a viable low cost thermal option.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions