Subscriber Discussion

Edge LPR Coming Into 2016?

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Dec 11, 2015

Hi All,

Getting a feel for successful implementations of Edge LPR throughout the world,

who's offering what nowadays - it's a difficult search as there don't seem to be that many manufacturers, and even fewer that I can find have field reports

what products have you guys used that works well?,

JH
John Honovich
Dec 11, 2015
IPVM

When you say 'edge LPR' do you mean running as an app on a COTS camera or?

We have some tests: License Plate Recognition (LPR) Axis App Tested and Genetec AutoVu LPR Camera Tested

(1)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Dec 11, 2015

Yes, software apps running in-camera, no servers needed!

I've seen axis has 4 different Aplication Development Partners with LPR software plugins for example,

who else is doing pure, in-camera LPR nowadays and how good is it?

Thanks

D

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Dec 11, 2015

Arteco can do edge LPR in Samsung cameras with Open Platform.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 11, 2015
IPVM

And what about PlateSmart on Samsung? There was an announcement about it. Is that in production?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Dec 11, 2015

Yes, PlateSmart runs on Samsung OpenPlatform, but I believe it still requires a server or cloud connection for the actual LPR and reporting. In camera, it is detecting the plate and sending just that portion of the image to be processed. It is more efficient that traditional server-based LPR, but still does require a server somewhere in the architecture.

U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 11, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Here's an odd, but cool looking standalone LPR camera (as cool a license plate camera can get that is), the Carrida

(1)
Christopher Uiterwyk
Dec 11, 2015
IPConfigure

IPConfigure's eLPR for Axis cameras is a pure edge LPR platform that requires no client or server installation/support and can run autonomously inside the camera storing up to 500,000 plates and metadata on the internal SD Card. eLPR also supports a push/pull API for integration into 3rd party platforms.

http://www.ipconfigure.com/products/lpr

Regards

Chris Uiterwyk

IPConfigure CEO

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jan 19, 2016

We've installed a system using 2 cameras running IPConfigure eLPR. It seemed to work great at first, but then we were unable to get any support from IPConfigure when the system stopped working randomly. Tech support gave up on us when we had problems and we were informed at the time that there was only one person at IPConfigure who knew anything about it, but that person never returned emails.

Buyer beware.

(2)
Christopher Uiterwyk
Jan 19, 2016
IPConfigure
Hi UD4I, Do you have a support ticket number that I can research your claim against? Your details are inconsistent with our customer feedback and the overall capabilities of our product and support team. In such an event where IPConfigure has failed you I will exhaust my resources to resolve your problem to include on-site support or a full refund. Regards, Chris Uiterwyk CEO IPConfigure, Inc. 877-207-1112
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jan 19, 2016

Hi Christopher,

I appreciate the offer to help, but we took the eLPR out over a year ago. My first comment was just a synopsis of our experience with the system, so I think it's important others hear about the good and bad of any system, and this was simply our experience.

Again, thanks for the offer, but we'll let sleeping dogs lie with this one.

Christopher Uiterwyk
Jan 19, 2016
IPConfigure

UD4I, Unfortunately such an allegation can't be let go. The IPConfigure team operates with the understanding that the success or failure of IPConfigure is based on the success or failure of our partners. At minimum, I ask that you provide me with the opportunity to reflect internally on the claims you have made. Did you submit a ticket, if so please provide the ticket number? Otherwise, please email me direct with any emails that document what you have said. chris.uiterwyk@ipconfigure.com Regards Chris

U
Undisclosed #3
Jan 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

UD4I, Unfortunately such an allegation can't be let go.

C-level tip #7: Don't accuse your customers of lying.

(2)
(3)
(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #7
Jan 20, 2016

UD3,

Your beefing Christopher about using the term 'allegation' - as if this word infers that he doesn't believe the customer?

Anything claimed - sans proof - is an allegation.

Christopher appears to be seeking that proof. Not to prove the 'customer' isn't lying, but instead to find out if the procedures and processes he has in place weren't followed by his own people - so he can do something about it.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #3
Jan 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Your beefing Christopher about using the term 'allegation' - as if this word infers that he doesn't believe the customer?

Actually I wouldn't have said anything had that been all there was to judge his intention on. But its pretty clear that he has some doubts about the "claim".

Anything claimed - sans proof - is an allegation.

Right, "sans proof", is part of the definition. So calling it an allegation is a way of saying "These accusations which you say are true but haven't provided any proof of."

Which is an odd tone to set with a obviously displeased customer, even if it is technically an "allegation".

Nor can this be explained as just this sentence. Tell me honestly how you would feel after recounting a failed install, if the CEO of the company that you were displeased with said:

Your details are inconsistent with our customer feedback and the overall capabilities of our product and support team.

As in, "What you think does not match what I know."

Who would want to continue trying to convince the CEO after that attitude? Not even, "I'm sorry that we weren't able to help." Instead the closest we get is the 3rd person impersonal, "In such an event where..."

So, yes, I believe that the word allegation was used to point out to those listening that there has been no proof provided. Which casts aspersions. If you want to believe that it was to "do something" about his procedures and policies, that's fine with me.

(1)
(1)
Jv
J v E
Jan 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I know Digifort started with it. Currently compatible with Dahua LPR but in future also ARH cameras. ARH has of course their own LPR cameras with processing inside (like Smartcam). Also seen Tattile that do it inside the camera.

U
Undisclosed
Jan 19, 2016

Does anyone have any experience (Good or Bad) with Inex-Zamir cameras like the IZA-500: http://www.inexzamir.com/iza500.html?

U
Undisclosed
Jan 19, 2016
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Jan 19, 2016

We have 14 IZ cameras installed. Takes some time to get it dialed in but fairly reliable. we use it for automating visitor access control to communities without having to give them a rfid tag.

LS
Linda Springett
Jan 21, 2016

For those who have had experience with IPConfigure - did you have any issues with multiple captures?

I'm also looking for a solution that will email an image with plate details, time and date. Seems we can't do this with IPConfigure without purchasing the VMS.

SL
Steve Lewis
Aug 18, 2017

OpenALPR runs embedded on Axis cameras however the processing is done in the cloud where the plate metadata and video clips are stored for 60 days at $79/month/camera.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions