Subscriber Discussion

Dyndns Service Update Client Or Router

Gert Molkens
Sep 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'm having quite a few issues with DynDNS's update client with several customers with smaller systems who use it to get their apps connected to Milestone.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more stable to install a small router that has a DNS client built in to it (so that it runs 100% of the time, also after rebooting etc). Anybody any recommendations?

DW
David Westberry
Sep 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

It's been a number of years but I previously had tried DynDNS client built into various NAT boxes to use just as you describe. It would not work behind another NAT box, it would report the internal address. We used to resell DDNS and used TZO, which did work behind an existing NAT box, until they were bought out which led me to try other options. We now use No-IP and it works well though I haven't checked if it is incorporated into any current routers. They do offer a Linux client and I used Raspberry Pi's to do what you are suggesting and they worked well. Raspberry Pi + Jackery external battery functioning as a UPS wasn't too costly and had quite a few run for a year or two.

We primarily sell LTS(Hik) and the No-IP client is built in so I no longer use any of these methods.

(1)
Josh Hendricks
Sep 15, 2016
Milestone Systems

I'd recommend going the route of using a router with a built-in DDNS feature.

Barring that, you might try https://now-ip.com and their service-based DDNS client. The service is free at present - no idea if they plan to charge in the future.

Full disclosure, I was paid a one time fee to write their DDNS client but otherwise have no affiliation with the organisation.

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 15, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Do none of your DVR/NVR/IP Cams not have the ability to register with DynDNS?

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Sep 16, 2016

I would always recommend using ddns in router vs update client on pc.

On camera/nvr is OK, but router is better IMHO.

Gert Molkens
Sep 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I only use Milestone and hence the update client is kind of the replacement for the built in DDNS of a DVR/NVR but doen't seem to be as stable as the built in stuff.

i do prefer to put it in the router but don't allways have access to it.

thanks for the input everyone !!

HL
Hal Lewis
Sep 16, 2016

Gert,

We searched a long time for a device. We now use a device that we simply plug into their network and it connects a VPN tunnel to a server in our office. When we install the App on a client's phone, we put in our server IP address and the port number that is redirected to the client location. No port forwarding and enhanced security. We buy the device from Welbeck. Their devices have a lot more capability that we don't use. We sell this as a secure service to our clients and get some RMR.

Gert Molkens
Sep 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Thanks Hal, does this work if you put it behind another NAT router?

HL
Hal Lewis
Sep 16, 2016

Other routers are of no concern. As long as we can "see" Port 80, we are good to go. This is like having a static IP address at the client's location. Our installer simply plugs it into their network, the device connects to our server through Port 80 and we are "live". My IT person can be more detailed but it just works (at my level). In Enterprise networks they (may) will block us because of our MAC address, but on home or small business networks this is not a concern.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions