Subscriber Discussion

DSC Power Series Neo Problems?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 30, 2016

We have been using DSC alarm equipment exclusively for a very long time, and about a year ago started using the updated NEO version with very mixed reviews. While some customers have had zero issues we have a few that are getting very unpredictable low battery and complete failure of door/window transmitters. 

Has anyone else experienced or use this equipment with any input? 

(1)
RF
Ronnie Fewell
Dec 19, 2016

Response to Integrator #1 - This post will not assist you in solving your problem, but may provide a bit of comfort (sarcasm) to know that you are not alone. We too have deployed DSC panels for more than 10 years and have had and continue to experience difficulties with NEO wireless devices just as you describe. I.e. random indications of low batteries, zone faults, device not networked. If we remove the devices and or batteries from the deployed system and install them in our test system in the office, both the devices and batteries check out ok. There was DSC press release (you would think it would be tech bulletin) dated 13 July 2015 that discussed wireless data corruption issues with panel version 1.0, but this was supposed be corrected with v1.12. "It is recommended to either update the main panel to version 1.12 or newer or replace the modules with version 1.10 or newer. Firmware updates are available using DLS 5 software). See complete notice here." http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=news&o=main&id=53&subtype=release

We've done the updates, but still continue experience problems. DSC tech support has not been able to provide a satisfactory answer. We have the regional training rep coming by in couple of weeks. Will provide an update then.

UI
Dec 19, 2016

Its funny you should reply today after posting this a while back. I just emailed several people at Tyco today

The problems I have experienced have continued and I am starting to get very frustrated. We have continued to install these panels against better judgement but don't have too much choice.

The percentage of customers getting low batteries is absurd. Just today we had a few. One customer had simultaneous (10 seconds apart) low batteries from the front and back door after being installed for about 18 months.

Two customers that have a large number of transmitters, one has 80+ and the other with 30+ are replacing batteries themselves over the past few weeks. Strangely, as they replace a few devices, within a day or so, a few more go into low battery, like clockwork.

Definitely some serious issues.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Dec 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Use NAPCO wireless its a far superior product

UI
Dec 20, 2016

We are exclusive to DSC. Have always operated this way to easily program & troubleshoot customers. To switch to another brand is just crazy. Thanks for the input.

RF
Ronnie Fewell
Dec 19, 2016

Sad... I could have written your response.

To emphasize the severity of this issue, the primary reason for deploying NEO is its capability to accommodate large/wide area wireless installations. The most problematic installation we have is one with 114 devices. Its been installed for about 7 months and has experienced 2 CO detector zone faults (replaced sensors), 4 vanishing xmitters w/low batts (replaced sensors), 1 glass break false then a low batt (replaced sensor). We experienced the first couple of low batteries issues after about 2 months. We then speculated that the batteries shipped with the units could be the culprit, so we replaced batteries in all 114 devices. Wrong... problem persisted. As NEO is the only DSC panel that can accommodate an installation of this size, in an attempt to rescue our reputation, we are now contemplating deployment of a different manufacturer. We will probably eat the cost and cut our losses. This really hurts, as all of our NEO installations are greater than 64 devices... hence the need to use NEO. Thus, costly to swap out.

(1)
UI
Dec 20, 2016

Wow, well I googled you, you are in Gaithersburg? I am just down the road outside of Ocean City, MD. I am assuming I will get the same responses since I will be talking to the same regional people at Tyco.

UI
Jan 20, 2017

I got this in an email today. They say they are advertising this as a solution for large scale projects, but I cant help but think that they are underplaying the problem that this product has.

Neo supposedly has a 1+ mile open air range and 5-8 year battery life. Neither of which is occurring real world. Yet below they are saying this product helps with both of those things. If it does, I will be requesting they send me a free one for every system I have installed. 

Just today I replaced batteries on a system that had low batteries from 10 separate zones that accumulated over the course of just 3 weeks...less than 2 years since installation. 

neo repeater

UI
Feb 05, 2017

I just had another low battery come in from the same place. Less than two weeks after replacing every battery in the system.

UI
Feb 22, 2017

UPDATE: finally got a nod from tyco. 

"I’ve learned that this has been a recurring issue across the board with the Vanishing Contacts and Tyco is fully aware and Engineering is working on a solution.  Should be rectified shortly."

Not sure what will happen next. I said I wanted to replace the devices I have deployed now with the full size version but they have not responded. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions