Driver Cameras - Useful?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 31, 2012
IPVM

This week, pretty amazing footage was captured on a dashboard mounted camera of a plan crashing:

Moreover, driver cameras have become very popular in certain areas of the world, e.g., in Asia it seems commonplace but in the US, outside of taxis, they tend to be rare. We have one report on a high end offering called Drivecam that is worth checking out - Drivecam Video Monitoring Examined However, is anyone using a driver camera for their own personal use? Do you like it?Have you been able to use it to help with an accident?

U
Undisclosed
Jan 24, 2013

If it's pointing OUT and you visit a customer and your purchase order says "you can't disclose you're doing business with us" then you just violated an NDA.

If it's pointing IN it's an opportunity for someone else to steal private information from you.

Not to disagree such devices could have value in some circumstances.

Hey, John, want everyone pointing a camera at everyone else in the room at the next ipvm.com meet-up?

Rv
Rogier van der Heide
Feb 03, 2016

If it's pointing OUT and you visit a customer and your purchase order says "you can't disclose you're doing business with us" then you just violated an NDA.

If the video never gets published, how would it be 'disclosing' then ? Wouldn't the same go for companies who use track&trace ?

Hey, John, want everyone pointing a camera at everyone else in the room at the next ipvm.com meet-up?

How on earth is this remotely connected to dashcams ?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If it's pointing DOWN at your foot and you start to speed, you've just incriminated yourself. ;)

Mark Jones
Feb 02, 2016

I saw this yesterday on a TV ad. The money is coming from somewhere.

https://www.buydashcampro.com/?mid=7058132

JW
Jason Welin
Feb 02, 2016

I'm used to driving a patrol car with in car video. I purchased a dash cam to use in my service van. I love it. It's CYA at it's best.

(2)
Rv
Rogier van der Heide
Feb 03, 2016

Personally I'm more and more inclined to get one. But they're not so common yet here in Holland so it's hard to find some decent information on them. So far I'm quite fond of the BlackVue series. Altho they are a tad expensive, they do seem to have good quality.

I'm sure that one decent usage of the footage during an insurance claim would already have paid them back in full.

KA
Konstantin Avramenko
Feb 03, 2016

I have got one after my friend had a car incident where he could not prove that the other car was moving on the red light because of "witness" from the other car. I think it is good to have it. There also was a video a couple of years ago regarding scam that made dash cameras popular here in Toronto

Unfortunately, Toronto police does not accept footage from dash cameras. You have to record the face of driver (!) as well or be a witness in the court that this person drove a car if you try to self-report something like red light crossing.

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Often these roll-back scam artists will even have the balls to invoke the law of special relativity...

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 07, 2016
I have one from qualitymobilevideo that is a rear view mirror replacement. I love it. Night time quality could be better, but I can't complain for $180 US
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Another plane crash in Taiwan. The taxi driver was very very lucky.

The near absence of rolling shutter artifact on the propellor is consistent with power loss.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions