Subscriber Discussion

Question About The Hybrid Sony Camera Specification

AT
Andre Tournoux
Sep 04, 2013

While I was browsing some cameras specifications, the following product's datasheet raised my attention.

When I look at the analog output it says "analog SD output". What is SD output? What is the corresponding "traditional" analog output resolution? Is that 720p HD-SDI output?

I would be glad if someone could clear out these doubts.

Thank you.

Andre

JC
Jason Clement
Sep 04, 2013

Looks like just a standard analog 1v peak to peak video signal.

AT
Andre Tournoux
Sep 04, 2013

Sorry I meant "traditional" analog output resolution

JH
John Honovich
Sep 04, 2013
IPVM

I do not believe there is any HD-SDI output. It's NTSC/PAL for the analog / coax out and 720p for IP.

AT
Andre Tournoux
Sep 04, 2013

Makes sense but still confusing. I have no idea of what kind of analog resolution I am going to get.

JC
Jason Clement
Sep 04, 2013

Usually when they have an analog video out they give you TV Lines but I don't see that on the data sheet. That would loosely correspond to the analog "resolution".

JH
John Honovich
Sep 04, 2013
IPVM

Analog resolution specs are typically pointless anyway. It's a Sony camera, I am presuming if they rated it, it would be on par with current 'specmanship' - 600TVL, 700TVL, etc. That said, regardless of the spec, I doubt it will make a visible difference on the image quality.

AT
Andre Tournoux
Sep 04, 2013

Does that mean that they process the sensor output and trim it to a lower resolution? Would not it be easier to get the unprocessed signal? This way it might be possible to have an HD-SDI/ IP camera, correct?

JH
John Honovich
Sep 04, 2013
IPVM

I believe they do process the sensor output to get the analog out. See the footnote on the spec sheet:

"Dual streaming is not available when an analog video signal is output from the SLOC port"

I assume they could design a dual HD-SDI / IP camera but a dual analog / IP camera addresses a broader market of the 100,000x more users who have existing analog infrastructure (than have or want HD SDI).

AT
Andre Tournoux
Sep 04, 2013

Thanks for the comments John. Yes it does make more sense commercially.

MM
Mike McCann
Sep 05, 2013

Analog output of Sony Z series Hybrid cameras is 600TVL. In "SLOC" mode, both the IP and Analog output are available from the receiver unit. In "LAN" mode, the IP and Analog output are available directly on the camera when EoC function is no longer needed.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions