Subscriber Discussion

Doorbell Camera With Access To Its H.264 RTSP Stream

Carter Maslan
Jun 04, 2016
Camio

Anyone know of a doorbell camera that provides an H.264 RTSP video stream?

The Camera Finder has no filter for doorbell form factor or RTSP support, so I'm hoping someone might know off-hand.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 05, 2016

This small company from Taiwan says their DoorBell Intercom can send RTSP streams to NVRs:

U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This one says its ONVIF/RTSP compatible. $179.00 at Amazon.

Brian Rhodes
Jun 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This might prove to be tough. Most of the current crop of smart doorbells (ie: Ring, et al) use SIP rather than RTSP.

This makes sense, because while SIP is more complex, it handles P2P traffic better (ie: 2 way audio) compared to RTSP which is mostly used for simple broadcast to one or multiple clients.

Brian Rhodes
Jun 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

That said, if you're willing to jump over to the video intercom (bigger, costlier than doorbells), you should be able to find RTSP out fairly easily. Take the Axis A8004-VE for example.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified
(1)
Carter Maslan
Jun 05, 2016
Camio

Thank you for these suggestions.

They made me realize that I asked my question too narrowly. We can use any H.264 stream regardless of whether connections are initially negotiated with SIP, described by SDP, or transmitted via RTP. So I should have asked "Which doorbell cameras provide documented access to their H.264 video streams". Thanks again.

Carter Maslan
Oct 29, 2016
Camio

We found the new doorbell camera dbell (https://www.dbell.ca) that's launching next week and connected it to Camio via RTSP (https://test.camio.com/c/01keswxvaccg) - even over the Internet from Canada ;) Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 29, 2016

Axis's new A8105-E is really nice and small. 1080P video and fisheye lens for no blind spots unlike it's bigger brother.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions