Subscriber Discussion

Domed Camera For License Plate Recognition Obscured Inside A Traffic Bollard?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 12, 2018

I'm trying to install a round-formatted domed camera (for small size) inside an 8" (?) heavy duty bollard for License Plate Recognition and I'm wondering if people have any suggestions as to whether this will work.  I'm thinking of using a 1080p camera because I've heard their sensors are more sensitive in low light compared to 4K.  And I'd also like to install it behind a somewhat darkened polycarbonate cover to somewhat obscure the appearance of the camera and disguise it as an outdoor driveway light.  This is for a residential application.

Any comments, critiques, or suggestions?

Sean Patton
Jun 12, 2018

With a dome camera you will potentially be limited in the lens options (domes typically don't have replaceable lens options verses box format cameras), so you will need to consider your distance to capture, and PPF/pixel density requirements for the LPR application you are running. In general, I agree that if you're only looking to capture plates, that a targeted view with a 1080p camera can be a great choice. Do you have outdoor lighting options? Are you in a state/country with only rear license plates required on vehicles? What is the expected speed of vehicles you will be capturing plates on? What are the general weather conditions during the winter? - even just freezing rain/sleet will completely obscure the front plate of a vehicle.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 12, 2018

I'm planning on capturing plates from cars passing on the street in front of my house and the street doesn't have any lighting.  I could use a camera with a built in IR illuminator but then that would draw more attention to the camera.  I guess I could use a separate illuminator but it would be great if I didn't need to use a separate IR illuminator.  Opinions?

U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I'm planning on capturing plates from cars passing on the street in front of my house and the street doesn't have any lighting.

Related: Residential ALPR: The RMR You Have Been Looking For?

Lynn Harold
Jun 12, 2018

When using traditional cameras for LPR instead of purpose-built units like the Genetec SharpX and SharpV, I find a bullet style camera with a flat-glass front instead of a dome works better, especially if you have built-in LEDs. I know that doesn't meet your installation requirements. Depending on the speed of the vehicles, and the read angle from the lens to the plate, your may not get satisfactory results.  Also, look for a camera with both IR and White light LEDs ("dual light"), not just IR for better illumination and read accuracy.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions