Subscriber Discussion

Does NEC 800 Apply To Video Surveillance?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jan 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I took my LV test a few months ago and I always had this lingering thought regarding Section 800 and grounding of wires entering a building.

This early morning I pulled out my 2011 NEC (nice my class gave me the 2011 version instead of 2014....) and looked up Chapter 8. 800.2 definitions defines a communications circuit as something that comes from the utility.

So for surveillance, NEC 800 doesn't apply, does it?

The majority of the time, the device is mounted directly to the building, such as on a eave, sometimes in conduit. Due to design, the radios always have a small amount of wire showing. Then we have devices mounted on poles with cable being underground and coming back to the building.

We are also being asked to run an aerial wire from a pole to a building, then to another building to provide temporary phone service for the gate call box.

Would there be any code that requires grounding or special treatment of Cat5/6 cable entering the building?

Brian Rhodes
Jan 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In my area, NEC 800 is not recognized for anything networked, just telephone, although it could be! At least the non-fiber networked parts.

In your area, there's a good chance when recognized, the 2011 version is adopted (hence the old copy they gave you).

re:

Would there be any code that requires grounding or special treatment of Cat5/6 cable entering the building?

In my area (unadopted NEC 800, but observed as 'best practice') grounding of any metallic STP sheath in a building without formal grounding should happen at the building penetration point.  If a formal TGB or grounding utility exists inside the structure, then use that.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions