Subscriber Discussion

Does Axis Manufacture Any Products In China?

Matt Barber
Mar 09, 2017

Hello All,

I have an opportunity with a school.  One concern they raised in our recent meeting was security of Chinese manufactured cameras.  They were under the impression that if a camera was made elsewhere, it was somehow more secure.

I will be pulling together an email outlining some of the things that make a camera and IP video network secure for them to help them understand better.

I have had some folks try to tell me that Axis is manufacturing some of their product in China vs. Sweden.

I am unable to verify this in any of my searching.

Does anyone have any insight? 

Thanks,

Matt

[Note: Axis has provided an official answer in comments below]

JH
John Honovich
Mar 09, 2017
IPVM

Axis official response:

Today we have very few globally available models manufactured by global EMS partners located in China. Going forward the plan is to use EMS partners located in China only for products dedicated for the Chinese market.

Beginning 2018 we expect this to be fully implemented.

Note: EMS stands for Electronics manufacturing services and is often colloquially referred to as contract manufacturing. Axis develops the software, designs the hardware, etc. and the contract manufacturer builds it.

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 10, 2017

I used to have a list of where their various devices were manufactured so I could ship items internationally.  I don't recall China being on the list.  Honestly the list had product being made in so many places that it's mind boggling.

However, they do sell into China and from what I can tell China essentially required that product sold there had to be manufactured there, or at least made it very difficult to import.

Ethan Ace
Mar 10, 2017

The Axis gear we have here is all manufactured either in Thailand (M series) or Sweden (P/Q), with one P series dome made in the Czech Republic. Not saying it'll be that way for all regions, but never seen anything but this on Axis gear we've bought, and we own a couple dozen Axis models from testing.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 10, 2017
IPVM

Axis official response:

Today we have very few globally available models manufactured by global EMS partners located in China. Going forward the plan is to use EMS partners located in China only for products dedicated for the Chinese market.

Beginning 2018 we expect this to be fully implemented.

Note: I replaced my original comment with this and removed 2 other comments that were speculating now that we have this response.

I am posting this to send an email notifying the people on the list and then I will delete this comment so the thread can be orderly with Axis response up top.

Matt Barber
Mar 10, 2017

Thanks everyone!   

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions