Subscriber Discussion

Does Axis Have A Darkfighter-Equivalent?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 21, 2018

A client has a need for cameras that are capable of excellent night-time performance but they want Axis cameras in order to more easily live stream to Youtube with Camstreamer. They were very impressed with the Hikvision Darkfighter series but Camstreamer doesn't work on anything but Axis.

I admit to being completely unfamiliar with the Axis line. I see they have "Lightfinder" which I suspect is their Darkfighter equivalent but I want to ensure the performance is similar. I know enough not to go by manufacturer's claimed lux specs.

Has anyone had enough experience with Hik and Axis to recommend something? Minimum specs are 1080p30, preferably 1080p60, format (dome/box/bullet) isn't terribly important but budget is. If it's going to be a $2,000 Axis camera they might just be better off with a $200 Value-series Hik Darkfighter and a cheap PC to handle the streaming, but the lack of additional hardware with Camstreamer is very enticing.

SD
Shannon Davis
Mar 21, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I'm not familiar with Hik at all but I am with Axis. My guess is the Axis is the same and most likely better. Several of their models support light finder and the 60FPS you are wanting. The P32 and P33 series will support what you are looking for.

(1)
(1)
(1)
Ethan Ace
Mar 21, 2018

Axis' Lightfinder was actually one of the first super low light models, which started back with the Axis Q1602 Lightfinder in 2010/2011.

The most light sensitive of the Lightfinder models is the Q1635 (tested here). It supports 60 FPS, as well. It's not cheap, though. It's about $1,100-1,200 not including a housing. 

The P1365 Mk II's minimum illumination spec is close to the Q1635, though we have not tested it. It's significantly less expensive, though, closer to the $600-700 range.

(1)
(2)
UI
Mar 22, 2018

Thanks for the comparisons. The expectation is video at night will be kept in color mode to film passing trains so it looks like performance-wise, Hikvision is still the leader in ultra low light performance. Sure would be nice if Camstreamer worked on more than just Axis cameras as that's a major plus from an infrastructure standpoint.

Scott Napier
Apr 02, 2018

I  curious, why do you need color for trains?  Don't they have unique markings and numbers that can distinguish them?

UI
Apr 02, 2018

It's not for a commercial application, it's for entertainment (railfans).

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 02, 2018

You need to look into Hikvision Darkfighter -X....No comparison to Axis....way better and 1/2 the cost

(1)
(4)
Ethan Ace
Apr 02, 2018

We are in the process of testing the DarkfighterX PTZ. It is definitely not half the cost of Axis. The DS-2DF8225IH-AELW DarkfighterX PTZ is ~$2,500 online. The Lightfinder/laser focus Axis Q6155-E sells for ~$2,700. 

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 02, 2018
IPVM

Ethan, I think #2 gets much better pricing than you!

(1)
UI
Apr 02, 2018

Ethan, what happens to your test equipment once you're through with it? Is it retained for reference purposes and future tests or can/would IPVM sell it?

Give ya $1000 for that used DarkfighterX! :-D

UI
Apr 02, 2018

Thanks, I am familiar with the DarkfighterX but with my limited purchasing power I doubt I would get it for the same price you do. My cost on the PTZ is about $3000 CAD and ADI doesn't even have the box version in their system yet. If anything we would probably use regular Darkfighter boxes or bullets along with a simple PC running something like XSplit for the live stream.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 02, 2018

I have board experience with both Axis (Silver Level) and Hikvision (Gold Level). My recommendation for the cheapest Axis camera that has Lightfinder would be the P3225 MKII. Outdoor favors are $619 or $699 MSRP. It can do 30fps at 1080p in color mode

That camera is only thing prolly in their price range since they have Hikvision. Axis Q series is mostly likely not in their budget. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions