Subscriber Discussion

Does Anyone Still Read Or Look Over The Paper Catalogs Distributors Issue?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 27, 2017

When i was walking away from ISC West this year i saw the mountains of catalogs there were left after the ADI/Tri-ED/Anixter and other booths, i was wondering if any one theses days still look in these paper catalogs or looks for new products in them. 

JH
John Honovich
Apr 27, 2017
IPVM

Note: poll added.

Related, do ADI and other distributors still mail their big print catalogs to dealers? I know historically it was a revenue source for them (i.e., manufacturers paying for space / highlights in the catalogs).

UM
Apr 29, 2017

Yeah ADI still mail them, the others I'm not sure.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 27, 2017

I voted no because ADI/Tri-Ed/Anixter/CSC/Graybar documents are rubbish.  However, I do look at specific manufacturer's printed product documents, particularly if that manufacturer's website is unhelpful and/or their product line is overly broad.  Panasonic, RS2, and many of the connectivity manufacturer's (Leviton, Hubbel, Ortronics) are examples where I find it easier to dig through their printed docs.  Axis, Avigilon, Milestone are examples where the website is far easier to identify data.

(1)
(1)
UM
Apr 27, 2017

I guess the more specific question is: When you go to order a product do you go to the ADI/Tri-Ed/Anixter/CSC/Graybar printed catalog to choose which one to order? 

UI
Apr 28, 2017

Never.  I do not even know anyone that does.  The catalogs are usually minimally detailed, offer only basic specs, and do not reflect dealer scale discounts.  I have not even seen a catalog from a distributor in years.

(1)
UM
Apr 28, 2017

I totally agree, i just think it's a dying revenue stream the distributors still use to get money from manufacturers but would still like to get some opinions from other people what do they think.

The other question is then how you guys learn about new products or when you order how do you know what to choose?

(1)
UI
Apr 28, 2017

I can't answer how the rest of the team learns about new products because their product lines have been fixed for a while.  Here is how I learn about new products:

• IPVM
  • Partner press releases
  • Trade shows (ISC in particular)
  • Word of mouth from other team members
  • A couple reliable manufacturer's rep firms

As for knowing what models to choose there are a variety of tools:

• Spec sheets
  • Manufacturer design docs
  • Manufacturer design tools
  • Manufacturer partner portals
  • IPVM camera calculator / camera finder
  • A touch of Google

A useful partner portal and design tool is the biggest key.  If it is easy to select a proper product to avoid mistakes that more than pays for itself.  I use the Avigilon design tool for proper server selection and bandwidth calculations.  Recently I had to quote Exacq and found their online design tools to be amongst the best I have seen.

(2)
Hans Kahler
Apr 28, 2017
Eagle Eye Networks

I don't look at security catalogs, but I do like looking through U-Line.  Sometimes I find interesting things there, but rarely do I buy anything. 

UM
Apr 28, 2017

Same here but i do look in the Magazines

Philip Jenkins
Apr 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I voted no because it is always difficult to know if you have the latest information when you are looking at print. 

(2)
UM
May 01, 2017

I agree on the other hand on paper it's a little easier to sort through bunch of products that are needed... i just don't know if people still do it.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions