Subscriber Discussion

Who Sells Access Controlled Lock Boxes?

RA
Ross Andersen
Sep 25, 2014

We have a customer who is looking for a access controlled Lockbox to hold a key. It has to be outdoor rated. Does this even exist?

Brian Rhodes
Sep 25, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Are you looking to store one key, or several rings? How many keys?

I looked at Morse Watchman, but offerings are limited to indoor units.

Do you have the installation resources available to 'build your own'?

It would be fairly straightforward to mount a steel NEMA box with a Cabinet Lock and an outdoor reader to create your own key storage vault.

RA
Ross Andersen
Sep 25, 2014

It would be a single key. Out in a very cold location. We have the ability to build one but the cost would lose the customers intrest. Was hoping someone stumbled apon a solution that we have missed.

The Cabinet lock you linked, looks like it might be able to do it. Depending on how much it can handle the weather. I will check that out.

Brian Rhodes
Sep 25, 2014
IPVMU Certified

This may not be a good option, but it's worth bringing up:

Can you use a realtor-style (non electronic) lockbox?

Mechanical combo locks don't have audit trail or central management (and combos can be shared), but they also start at <$50.

Michael Silva
Sep 25, 2014
Silva Consultants

An integrator on one of my projects created an outdoor keybox using a 12" x 12" NEMA 4X enclosure, two mag locks, a magnetic contact switch and a proximity card reader. Inside the box are a series of hooks used to hold keys to the company trucks parked in the parking lot. Probably cost the client about $3000 when all was said and done.

This seems to work well, but might be a bit of an overkill for your application. How about just a simple outdoor rated keybox like the one below?:

RA
Ross Andersen
Sep 25, 2014

We also went that route and they wanted it 'simple' haha

They want to know who opens it with what card. That is the main point they want.

Michael Silva
Sep 25, 2014
Silva Consultants

There is also the Supra series of keyboxes, which are widely used in the real estate industry and do provide an audit trail and other advanced features. Not sure if these systems are available for purchase by individual users or not.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 25, 2014
IPVM

How about Supra Keyboxes?

JH
John Honovich
Sep 25, 2014
IPVM

Dammit, Silva beat me by a minute, while I was looking for a good video to embed :(

Michael Silva
Sep 25, 2014
Silva Consultants

Great minds think alike :).

I did an assessment project for a multiple listings association a few years back and had to get up to speed on on the Supra product line. It's actually a pretty impressive system. It's also used to enforce prompt payment of the real estate agent's monthly dues to the association - if he or she doesn't pay up, they lose their access privileges to the lock boxes.

RA
Ross Andersen
Sep 25, 2014

this needs to be controlled off site by their main office. They use Keyscan right now.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions