Subscriber Discussion

Does Anyone Know Who Coined The Acronym PSIM?

Sagy Amit
Mar 25, 2016

Had a discussion with a colleague about industry acronyms, and we debated on who coined PSIM. Anyone? Doesn't have to be the name of the individual, just the name of a manufacturer will suffice..

Michael Silva
Mar 25, 2016
Silva Consultants

I believe that Steve Hunt, aka the Security Dreamer, first coined this phrase. Back when his forum was more active, we had many lively discussions about the merits (or lack thereof) of PSIM. I jokingly used the phrase "Perhaps Someday I'll Materialize" as my interpretation of what PSIM meant...

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 25, 2016
IPVM

I think it was Steve Hunt but I also recall Vidsys' former CEO claim that he did it.

Either way, I am not sure it is something to be particularly proud of given PSIM's track record.

U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Either way, I am not sure it is something to be particularly proud of...

Either way, it did save a boatload of typing.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 25, 2016

Who coined the term "pre-crime"?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Mar 25, 2016

Tom Cruise

(4)
HW
Hobby Wright
Mar 28, 2016

Chuck Teubner, former CEO of VidSys, along with James Chong founder and CTO at the time. James Chong is the current CEO and has since coined the term CSIM, converged security information management. Steve Hunt was the herald for PSIM, but VidSys came up with it. I have coined a variation on it- Public Safety Information Management.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 28, 2016
IPVM

"James Chong is the current CEO and has since coined the term CSIM, converged security information management."

Always a bad sign when a company than claimed to invent a category abandons it.

Related: Why PSIM Will NEVER Be Popular

HW
Hobby Wright
Mar 28, 2016

I agree that the PSIM market has been challenging to say the least. Truth is, PSIM is more A professional services integration business than an out of the box software business. There are just so many moving parts and pieces with integrations and iterations to keep up with...herding cats comes to mind.

That said, I would still invest in PSIM if I were at the helm of a vast and complex security system. Having sane and reasonable version controls, realistic expectations of timing for delivery and clarity on developer resources, priorities and procedures is key.

I think CSIM is more encompassing than PSIM. Integrating other non-traditional physical security systems like social media analytics (twitter storms), sentiment analysis, human terrain, geo-location, SCADA, cyber, etc., makes for richer analysis and information management.

I'm a believer. I know it can be done. I also know that it costs more and takes more than anyone wants to admit. But it can be done.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 28, 2016
IPVM

I would still invest in PSIM if I were at the helm of a vast and complex security system.

Sure, for every 'vast and complex security system', there are a 1000 that are not, and those continue to overwhelmingly reject PSIM.

HW
Hobby Wright
Mar 28, 2016

Yep, it's not for everybody...just like my wares. Probably the first and most important decision is whether it makes sense. If it does. Do it right. If it doesn't, don't do it.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Mar 29, 2016

James Chong of VidSys

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions