Subscriber Discussion

Any Recommendations For Running IP Over Coax? Changing Analog To IP Cameras

jc
james cordell
Apr 10, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I am trying to replace analog cameras with IP.  I will also have to install a new NVR.  I want to do this budget friendly so I can start putting multi imager IP cameras on building perimeter.  So two parts to question, what will convert signal and carry of over existing Coax and what NVR to install with vms such as Genetec, at first ability to only handle small # of cameras with ability to increase hard drive capacity as cameras are added.  Thanks.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 10, 2018

make sure the coax is in good shape.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Apr 10, 2018

You can find a few different relatively inexpensive coax to IP converters on Amazon. We have had success using them to convert analog installations into IP video.

Paul Grefenstette
Apr 10, 2018

How long are the runs?  Pulling new cat6 is always recommended over baluns as why if you can help it reduce the amount of devices that could fail and if you didnt pull the coax how do you know if its good or not "junctioned" in 20 different spots along the run.

Genetec is a tier 1 vms that you need to be certified on and I wouldn't put it into the class of budget and you will have ongoing support fees but it is one of the best VMS out there

What multi imager are you going to use?  Be careful as you will probably need poe+ for these devices and you have to make sure if you use baluns are the capable of pushing that amount of power out to the camera

(3)
MM
Michael Miller
Apr 10, 2018

Test the coax and determine the run lengths.  The longer the runs the less bandwidth and power you have which can be a problem with power hungry multi-head cameras.    Vigitron is been a good solution for us as I would recommend you reach out and they will help design the solution for you. 

(2)
Jack Meltzer
Apr 10, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I second the "Assuming coax is in good shape" and from a quality manufacturer, please check us out. www.veracityglobal.com. If this is a serious security system, then you should consider quality solutions from a know manufacturer with a track record of performance regardless of who you decide to use.

[[IPVM Admin note: Poster is a Veracity employee]]

(4)
Claudio Almeida
Apr 10, 2018

You can think about EoC + PoC, meaning sending power supply also through the coax cable. 

NVT NV-EC1701-KIT1 Camera EOC Transmission System

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Apr 10, 2018

If you want to do this with spending the least amount of money, use HD over coax cameras. Flir/Hik/Dahua.  Not a tier 1 VMS like Genetec, but you can get HD quality without replacing the coax for not a lot of money.

I would second everyone else and say that ripping out the coax and replacing with Ethernet is a better plan than using the converters (with the exception perhaps of if you have a run that is longer than 330ft, or is in an extremely difficult location)

When you add up the cost of the converters for multiple runs (16 to 32 I presume) vs the cable and labor costs of just pulling new,  pulling new probably makes more sense. If you just had 1 or 2 analogs to switch over, then the converters probably make more sense 

(2)
Frank Farmilette
Apr 10, 2018
A2 Systems

As others have noted, make sure the coax is in good shape before using these, but we have had good success with the NV-EC1701.

(3)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Apr 11, 2018

Another consideration is that the National Electric Code requires that any existing wiring infrastructure not tagged for future use must be removed.  Sometimes the significant cost associated with pulling new wire is exacerbated by the cost of removing old wiring. Previous  comments outline your choices...use TVI/CVI/AHD systems to install HD-quality cameras, or use solutions from NVT/Comnet, etc, to deploy IP cameras over the existing coax.

Fredrik Ahlsen
Apr 16, 2018

We are using PoC and PoE injectors from UTEPO.
Here my checklist:

- Good cable with perfectly fit connectors

- Use a good PoE+ injector (For long cables use 53V PoE)

- Messure link speed and check for package drops.

- Use HD analog instead.

Our experience is that HD analog (Dahua HDCVI is what we use) is the best choice for stability. It work on long cables and has very good recistance to interference. But some times a IP conversion is needed due to the larger selection of cameras.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Apr 16, 2018

You don't want to go cheap on EoC (ethernet over coax) converters if you want reliability, even then a lot still depends on the condition of the cable. We had a customer use cheap Everfocus labelled EoC converters and they failed miserably. We tried NVT and it did a little better but still had problems. NVT has devices listed for one-to-many on one wire connections, but we find they work better on one-to-one connection. We found Niteks worked better than the NVT's.

When you are talking about cost of using "good" EoC converters, you'll probably find for 100 meter or less runs, it's about the same price to pull new wire, so why not just pull new Category 5 or 6 cable and make it a network connection. The EoC comes in handy and cost effective for long runs past 100 meters. But again, only cost effective if you can be sure the wire is in good condition so you are not having to service it every few weeks or suffer frequent camera offline issues.

Please do a courtesy follow up with what you ultimately decide to go with and how well it works for you after a month or so. Thanks!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions