Subscriber Discussion

Does Anyone Have Experience With Trestle Ladders?

DM
David Matyas
Mar 30, 2017

Does anyone have experience with "tressle" ladders? Like this one?

I am trying to figure out you can work at the top if it is perfectly straight.

Thanks

Ari Erenthal
Mar 30, 2017

No, you cannot. 

We did not cover trestle ladders in our ladder guide, as they aren't widely used for cabling or camera mounting. 

Trestle ladders are meant to be used in pairs, as a means for supporting a scaffolding. They're good if you need to have a portable work platform to, for example, install high-hats or flush mount ceiling speakers. For camera work, though, I don't think I'd bother. 

Ari Erenthal
Mar 30, 2017

Edit: You can also use the extension section of the ladder to climb up into a narrow opening, but you cannot work on top of it- there's no way to keep your balance once you take your hands off it. 

DM
David Matyas
Mar 30, 2017

Thats what I thought.

Thanks

Richard Lavin
Mar 30, 2017
Salas O'Brien • IPVMU Certified

"there's no way to keep your balance once you take your hands off it."

It's precarious and certainly not recommended but I remember from WAY back in my days as an integrator climbing up to the very top of a trestle ladder, flinging one leg over the top and hooking a foot around a ladder rung, then praying neither the site safety coordinator nor anyone from OSHA comes by while I'm up there.

Sigh ... Good Times.

Ari Erenthal
Mar 30, 2017

"there's no way to do it that won't kill you sooner or later" is what I should have said.

Richard Lavin
Mar 30, 2017
Salas O'Brien • IPVMU Certified

Yeah.  At the very least it will get you kicked off the job site immediately if anyone with authority sees you.

At the time though, I was young, foolish and believed myself to be both immortal and above the rules.

Ari Erenthal
Mar 30, 2017

I'm not saying that I ever broke the rules, but I can tell you when it's going to rain. 

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Mar 30, 2017
IPVMU Certified

They SUCK and should be outlawed as many in-experienced laborers use these and end up hurting themselves. Besides that even if you are able to climb the damn thing using your arms and hands for any real work becomes dangerous quick, I hate the sight of one and will never climb another or force any of my employees to do it either, Rent a Genie-lift?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions