Subscriber Discussion

Does Anyone Have Any Experience With Butterflymx?

DM
David Matyas
May 29, 2017

Does anyone have any experience with ButterflyMX?

Their product looks very nice, but the two google reviews are bad.

Thank you

David Coughlin
May 30, 2017
Protection One / ADT

David,

I've sold/installed it a few times. The concept is being specified more often as a result of a high volume of multi-residential developments. The technology is solid but, the door station is not weather resistant. Also, the list price for the RMR is not much higher than the dealer price.

I've used DoorKing for traditional telephone entry and, they have a "Smart Open" app that will provide the same technology as ButerflyMX. This one I've only seen demonstrated.

IT techs tell me that the concept is fairly simple and requires just a hosted site, an IP camera with two-way audio, and an output to unlock the door. That noted, the access and administration software is the "secret sauce." 

Hope this helps.

David Coughlin

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 01, 2017
IPVM

Comment from Michael Silva:

New apartment construction is going on like crazy in the Seattle market right now and I am seeing a lot of new installations of the Butterfly MX at the higher-end buildings.

The Butterfly MX works in conjunction with smartphone app that allows you to see a video camera at the door.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 05, 2017

I am preparing a proposal for a project that specified ButterflyMX. This is my first experience with them and I am not impressed. Their pricing model and especially their total cost of ownership is much higher than other, well established IP systems being offered by Comelit and 2N.

I think they are really marketing directly to building owners/managers rather than dealers/integrators.

I would much rather install high quality systems from well established companies with good support systems and a strong distribution channel aimed at the dealer.

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We just looked into Butterfly and not seeing the value. Several issues but the most obvious is no access control. All this thing does is pop one door. So you need a separate database system for other doors...

UD1. What kind of experience do you have with Comelit? We had one of their demo units for a trade show, and the app didnt work well at all. Kept going offline

(2)
Brian Karas
Dec 20, 2017
IPVM

Butterflye has been acquired, no details disclosed. Somewhat interesting is they were bought by Ooma, which has primarily been voip/telephony focused.

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 31, 2020

Has anyone had luck with this system? I talked with someone from the company a couple of months ago and they have no interest in working with integrators for discounts for the recurring. Seems that they are missing a huge portion of the market when they bypass security integrators?

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Jan 31, 2020
IPVMU Certified

That was our experience as well. If you do get RMR, you have to keep adding accounts every year or you lose all RMR.

(3)
MM
Michael Miller
Jan 31, 2020

Butterfly likes to sell direct to the client.

(1)
(2)
Wanchai Siriwalothakul
Apr 03, 2020
Smart Entry Systems • IPVMU Certified

Take a look at our system, we offer what Butterfly does but also includes their missing access control piece for way less cost than theirs. There is also no restrictions on our RMR model, sell 1 or sell a thousand systems, we will still pay you 20% every month.

Here is a small demo video for the video intercom:

Our single entry access controller can control a gate or even a washing machine:

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 03, 2020

Hello - does your system require an on-site SIP server to be running so that the phone calls can be routed, or is it completely self contained? Also, is there both a cellular and a hard-wired Ethernet option?

Lastly, is there an outdoor rated model?

Thx

Wanchai Siriwalothakul
Apr 03, 2020
Smart Entry Systems • IPVMU Certified

Our systems runs off plain vanilla WiFi, no need for SIP, VOIP, nor POTS, think of it like a Skype call.

If you must, the least expensive way to provide cellular based Internet access is to get a cellular hotspot and use it to provide the WiFi to our controllers. The downside is that the range is very limited compared to standard hotspots, so you can only provide WiFi to nearby controllers. It's usually much easier to piggyback off existing Internet services on site, using outdoor access points to extend the range to the gate / door.

The video intercom is WiFi only, but the Wiegand single entry controller can be either WiFi or Ethernet hardwired.

The $599 10" pre-assembled kit is made for outdoors but is not rated officially because there are 2 big vent holes on the back of the inside box, so it must be used in conjunction with the accompanied hood.

Here is the install instruction video:

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions