Subscriber Discussion

Does Anyone Have A Comparison Between S2 Security And Genetec ACS?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 24, 2017

Does anyone have a comparison between S2 Security and Genetec ACS?

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jan 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hello: We can help.  Is there specific criteria you want to contrast?  

Structurally, S2 is an access platform, and is relatively weak as a VMS. Integration to another VMS platform may be needed.

Genetec is both a VMS and an ACS in one platform. The platform is used 'only' as a VMS in many cases.

They both support 3rd party access controller hardware, but Genetec is built solely on that. (They support HID, Mercury, and Axis controllers.)

S2 is more specific in 3rd party hardware support (no HID VertX), but sells their own line of supported/designed controllers (ie: NetBox)

Does that help?

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 24, 2017

Thank you Brian, but I was seeing if anyone might have a matrix or comparison chart with the feature sets of the access control portion of both systems.  I do know that Genetec has a couple of different platforms, so I would just look for the Enterprise platform from them.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jan 30, 2017

[Poster works for S2]

TO: Brian Rhodes

Brian, regrettably you are not up to date in regards to S2 Security VMS & ACS Integration. Not only S2 DOES HAVE VMS & ACS in one, natively integrated in to one common interface platform, S2 also has a full range of NetVRs ranging from simple 8 cameras 2TB units to all the way up to 96 TB Enterprise level video recorders. These are running on the same core as the S2 ACS by the way.

Saying "relatively weak" is just false statement. Weak knowledge may have led to this.

I would recommend you to look at S2 Magic Monitor and Magic Monitor Forensics available as FREE software download as well as  sold by S2 as hardware, called Magic Monitor Wall with 4 monitors support. Much more than a video client, S2 Magic Monitor projects digital content such as images, signage, RSS feeds, television and promotional videos to any Magic Monitor in the system. Standard widgets for time zone clocks, traffic, weather and news feeds are built in.

Real-time S2 video surveillance is integrated into the desktop of the associated S2 NetBox or S2 Enterprise controller through a web browser. No software installation or client license fees are required. How about that in comparison with Genetec? Good luck just dealing with Windows + Genetec soft mixture!

As to integration to other ACS and VMS , S2 does have plethora of those and beats Genetec in variety of possible integration, just study the subject before posting :)

However, those integration are designed by S2 to take over the world. If you are a Security System Integrator, what would you choose: a mix of software on windows with custom drivers and bunch ov Vertex-Like third party hardware OR would you rather go with one company, one platform, one account , one support for all your needs like S2 USA manufactured ACS and VMS taking care of video and access , hardware and software, all-in-one.

(1)
(1)
(2)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jan 30, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The contrast here is that Genetec is commonly used as a VMS even when ACS is not used, while S2 is primarily an access platform and 'video only' systems are rare.  Do you take issue with this?

Genetec offers direct driver support for 3,000+ cameras aside from ONVIF.  S2 supports ~1000.

My 'relatively weak' statement reflects S2's market adoption as VMS, and is not a usability criticism.  We have not tested S2 video.

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions