Subscriber Discussion

Does Anybody Have Out-Of-Warranty Cameras Repaired?

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If "sometimes", what is your decision depend on? Do you ever salvage them for hardware?

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Mar 24, 2016

Going back 5 years ago, I saw OOW cameras being repaired all the time. (I used to be in the same office as a manufacturer repair center). Especially PTZ cameras, which cost thousands. As cameras are becoming lower cost, they are disposable.

That being said, some manufacturers offer a flat rate repair price, which takes the guess work and cost over runs out of the equation. This makes it very reasonable to get cameras repaired.

The issue with just replacing a camera, is that when the warranty is over, they have most likely moved to a new models camera - is it compatible with your existing hardware. Will it cause other issues or require other upgrades, and costs, etc.

For the government, purchasing a new camera means going through procurement. Getting a camera repaired is easier and goes through different channels...

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

For the government, purchasing a new camera means going through procurement. Getting a camera repaired is easier and goes through different channels...

Good point...

JG
Jeff Gack
Mar 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

It usually doesn't make sense for me to have oow cameras repaired.

Sometimes I will hang on to them for parts.

I will usually check them out at my shop and see if it is anything that I can repair for the customer if they are on a tight budget.

It just doesn't make sense to pay to ship it out and back to have it repaired with the lower prices of cams today.

(1)
GD
George Daich
Mar 25, 2016

Exactly, shipping cost and waiting time makes it unreasonable

(1)
PG
Paul Galburt
Mar 25, 2016

It's hard, even today, to see a $3000 PTZ camera as a throwaway.

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

True, but it's getting easier everyday to buy a $600 one.

(1)
Armando Perez
Mar 25, 2016
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

We are actually having an artist turn a pile of bad OOW camera from several years of hoarding parts into... art... for the new office.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

...a pile of bad OOW cameras... into Art...

Artecont?

(4)
Jonathan Pine
Aug 08, 2016

Yes, Renova Technology repairs hundreds of out-of-warranty cameras representing most manufacturers every month. We repair for at least 3 out of the top 5 integrators in the country and many regionals. Repair cost is approximately 1/2 of what the OEM's charge. Repairs are fixed fee, no bench fee, warrantied for 90 days, and repaired typically within 10 business days. Jonathan Pine, CEO Renova jpine@renovatechnology.com

Jonathan Pine
Nov 15, 2018

i just stumbled on this article.  Renova Technology repairs only out-of-warranty cameras (and other security devices).  We repair over 400 different models from about 50 manufacturers.  However, the average replacement cost for these cameras (if they could be found on the after-market) is about $1,800.  In addition to saving about $1,300 or more by having the cameras repaired rather than replacing them under their service agreements, integrators are able to preserve homogeneity across the enterprise.  

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions