Subscriber Discussion

Do You Use Commercial Grade Or Consumer Grade Monitors?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jun 26, 2016

Few questions:

Do you feel they are worth the value or just a marketing hype?

If you use them, what brand and model would you recommend?

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 26, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

It depends on the situation. We have a client with 24/7/365 security stations that have commercial displays. We also have clients that use their displays on a 9a to 5p basis that have consumer displays.

I will say this, I have been seeing more Samsung consumer displays failing lately. This has me a little cautious about selling more of them. I've replaced a 50" LED and a 32" LED recently. Both were just over a year old and out of warranty.

(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 27, 2016

I am in agreement with Jon, 24x7x365 get commercial displays while 9-5 get consumer-grade displays.

I can honestly say that I have yet to replace a monitor that was under 5 years old. I have a few of the Wbox displays out there right now (the 32" and 40", both apparently have a 2-year over-the-counter warranty), so we'll see how those play out in the next year.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #6
Sep 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I've replaced a 50" LED and a 32" LED recently. Both were just over a year old and out of warranty.

Who ate the replacement cost? You or the customer, or was it dinner for two?

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 21, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Why would I buy them replacements? They were out of warranty. 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #6
Sep 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Why would I buy them replacements? They were out of warranty.

That's your right of course.  

Some dealers might take at least part of the hit to keep a customer happy in a product that they might have recommended, one that failed right after the warranty.  Or at least sell the replacement at dealer cost.

Otherwise, it gives the appearance of profiting from the unexpected poor performance of the materials you provided.

Even if you personally disagree, is this rationale really a surprise to you?

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 21, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

With the very minimal margins we make on displays, I don’t assume much responsibility for them. We basically cover the cost of ordering or staging them, but little else can be provided under such small margins. 

In this particular case, we strongly suggested commercial displays to one client who declined and asked for the cheaper option. 

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #6
Sep 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In this particular case, we strongly suggested commercial displays to one client who declined and asked for the cheaper option.

In that case I totally agree.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jun 27, 2016

Depends on the warranty needs. Read the warranty statement from the manufacturer closely. Usually a consumer grade display used in any commercial or 24/7 environment is instantly warranty invalidated.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Sep 20, 2017

We've generally used Viewz and Orion and they've held up pretty well. I think the so-called commercial versions of Samsung, LG, NEC, etc have generally held up well but I think we get more failures from those. But failures less than 3 years are fairly rare.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Sep 20, 2017

Walk into almost any sports bar, and if you see a "hazy" area of the display, you can bet they are consumer grade. A local pub replaces theirs every year or two because they are so cheap.

SC
Sherri Cowen
Sep 20, 2017

Take a look at PrimeView , Advance Display Solutions- http://primeview.biz/

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Sep 20, 2017

Sherri, are you suggesting Primeview because you are a manufacturer's rep for Primeview, or are there some special differentiators you can point out that are an advantage over other brands.....?

SC
Sherri Cowen
Sep 20, 2017

Yes, I am a sales rep for Primeview. Please check the Website http://primeview.biz/ . All of our displays, both LCD and LED are 24/7 commercial grade and are manufactured to order at our facility in Korea. LCD is warrantied for 3-years and have a rating of 60,000 hours. Our LED products are warrantied for 5-years with a 100,000 hour rating. Command / Control, broadcast and all mission critical applications depend on Primeview.  

I can have one of our reps reach out to you, if interested. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions