Do You Follow Government Or Legal Standards In Designing Video Surveillance Camera Coverage?

JH
John Honovich
May 21, 2017
IPVM

I have heard a few Europeans and Australians mention this but I cannot recall anyone in North America doing so (I am sure it happens sometimes but it feels uncommon).

What I mean by government or legal standards here is some specifications, guidelines or recommendations on pixel density or low light performance or camera tilt, etc.

So, wanted to open up this for a discussion and vote:

I am especially curious to hear from those that do. If you do, is it for all projects? If not which ones? Is it enforced or are their penalties? etc.

(1)
(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 21, 2017

When going after government contracts it is a must. Many government workers though have no idea what the specifications actually mean, therefore the likelihood of pixel density being enforced is very low.  For example DHS has a video design guide but when have you ever seen it enforced?

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
May 21, 2017
IPVM

#1, thanks for sharing. I recall seeing that a few years ago and scratching my head. I am still unclear how that guide can be used in practice, because the 'requirements' they mentioned are quite vague. A few examples:

• "The larger the target, relative to the field of view, the more details can be discerned."
  • "High---Resolution Camera – Resolution is measured in megapixels or lines. More megapixels or lines offer a greater ability to capture detail."
  • "The lens* should offer low distortion and high resolution."

Also, I cannot find any reference to pixel density, PPF, PPM, etc.

It might help for someone who has no experience with video surveillance to get a sense of basics but not for specification or verification. As for enforcement, because it is so vague (and has simple recommendations), I am not sure it could be enforced.

Thoughts, anyone?

(2)
(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 21, 2017

John, you are so correct I went back and checked my reference and discovered I pulled the wrong one.  The Digital Video Quality Handbook by DHS covers ppf. 

U
Undisclosed #4
May 22, 2017

6.8.2 Cameras with "True" Day/Night Capability

..Could have just used a Sony VB770.  UD#1 is 2013 the most current document released? Thanks for the link.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 23, 2017

To the best of my knowledge that is the most current version.

U
Undisclosed #4
May 22, 2017

Marc Pichaud
May 21, 2017

Hi All

I confirm that to distinguish security professionals from simple opportunists we are putting a strong emphasize on the pixel density here, and it will be part of the new surveillance law expected in September 2017 in France, as well: 400 ppm for strongl identification, 250 ppm is the European standard for identification,  100 ppm for recognition, 30 for detection purposes, between 180 (optimistic) and 250 (realistic?) ppm for plate catching. The need is also coming from the final public or private accounts and also from the security forces, tired to pay and maintain video equipments  providing very bad quality video, at last, and cameras without any precise mission! (too many costly PTZ domes supposed to handle multiple usages..with too few operators)

That's why we are using more and more 3D simulations (Jvsg here) to guarantee that the PPM is correct before the final installation.  The software automatically calculates the pixel density taking into consideration, resolution, focal, distance, angle and height.

Bellow city hall and supermarket 3D or shops, and main street views, part of a global city simulations that I am using to train integrators ..and also public accounts

I have seen that people trained will spend most of the time, more money for less camera, and more wisely ... Pixel Density is one crucial point, yes,  but luminosity and sensibility are also mandatory to get a good result. Not sure that our French Government knows how to measure with a PC, on site,  a pixel density from a snapshot extraction... neither most professionals.

(1)
(9)
(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 23, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

You sure spend a LOT of time in JVSG!!! Props!

(4)
Marc Pichaud
May 23, 2017

yes Jon, at the very begining. Now I must confess it's taking less and less time because I have the knowhow and can do a lot of copy and paste. This example took me 1 complete day as a basis for a webinar, but it is then re-used for marketing, training, consultancy purposes, so it does generate an effective ROI for my company (no Visio simulation can compete)

I 'm still missing an hospital,  a school/campus , and also few social buidlings to get a "typical" small city. An Indor retail shop is already modeled and a tramway inside

I have just discovered last WE how to simulate roofs.. before it was open to all winds and much less impressive

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
May 21, 2017

If you are working with any government entity Local, State or Federal,not including the Military, and they have requirements no matter how vague or outdated they must be followed OR when/if the system that you installed is ever audited you will have a serious problem. 

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
May 22, 2017

Don't you just love installing new IP Cameras that MUST have better than 600 TVL Resolution ?

(I really wish i was joking...) 

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #9
May 30, 2017

Sounds like the National Indian Gaming Commission standards! 

Marc Pichaud
May 21, 2017

Audit does suppose that some technical specifications or norms are taken as a reference. If everything is non accurate and blur, or, on the opposite, too precise and don't leave place for smart solutions (often the case with engineering consultants willing to demonstrate that they know everything) .. I must tell you, you don't risk anything.

There are more people on the market able to checkout a rtsp authentication than to quality a shutter speed or a quality of identification at night during a target move.  Same for bandwidth / storage calculation and test on the field...

Let's add that most quality issues (and bandwidth too) are coming with the darkness... and nobody will be present at night to do a stress test to effectively qualify the system.. neither the customer, neither the integrator.. we are living with day light demos ... and disappointing evenings (ah ah ah)

(3)
Marc Pichaud
May 21, 2017

The norm which is used by most European / UK countries as a basis, is the EN 62676-4:2015 coming from the IEC 62676-4:2014. This can be downloaded from the web.

The norm also includes a special EN target 29,7 x 42 cm  to check the pixel density and colors.

(1)
(3)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 21, 2017

Marc, Thank you for the information. Can you help with a weblink.. Searching Norm is not at all helpful here in the U.S.  :) 

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 21, 2017

Is this the test standard product you were speaking of? NORMAN test

Marc Pichaud
May 21, 2017

No . This one is real size, not easy to bring it on site quickly.

No need of all this to calculate a pixel density

(1)
(1)
Marc Pichaud
May 21, 2017

Not sure we can find it for free because most of the norms, you have to pay for

http://www.techstreet.com/standards/bs-en-62676-4-2015?product_id=1899023

http://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030319373 (£244.00)

https://webstore.iec.ch/publication/7353 (CHF )

This is free: http://www.provision-cctv.com/picts/pdf2011_1731.pdf from BSIA UK

I have paid mine here, but it's in French (209,78 € HT)

https://www.boutique.afnor.org/norme/nf-en-62676-4/systemes-de-videosurveillance-destines-a-etre-utilises-dans-les-applications-de-securite-partie-4-directives-d-application/article/827003/fa059676

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
May 21, 2017

No, I have yet to run across any.  I really wish there were some requirements in place beyond what I feel is necessary.  It would greatly level the playing field.

(1)
Marc Pichaud
May 21, 2017

In France we have many requirements but nobody really controls quality ... and there is almost no penalties for quality.. only  penalties for missing privacy masks or period of storage .. so,...

(1)
(3)
JF
Jim Faber
May 22, 2017

use French and European as guides

(1)
Rob Hammond
May 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I don’t understand how any government standard could ever keep pace with fast changing technology. Take a look at NFPA 72 - the National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code.  Although it is well thought out, and contributes greatly to life safety in the U.S., it has stifled new technology innovation.  A new innovation in the NFPA 72 world, would probably take at least 2 code cycles (6 years) and most likely more, before it could reach the market place.  Even voluntary standards like ONVIF move at a snail’s pace.

Don’t get me wrong, I love standards, and best practices, they are in all of my specs, but I can’t rely on them to stay on top of technology. I can’t even expect my specs to stay on top of camera technology, when systems don’t get installed until 2-years after a spec hits the street!

Standards provide a good base, I certainly wouldn’t want to go back to the pre ONVIF wild west. They just can’t keep up with current technology.  A standard that says you need 80 PPF for facial recognition today, will seem antiquated when the 8K cameras hit the market.  Not to mention quantifying all of the other variables, mentioned above, that go into a quality picture.

I think the best thing we can do to improve camera performance is to have IPVM certified techs installing them. Once John make the commitment to certifying people, and specifiers and owner demand certification, we will see better installs!

(2)
(1)
SR
Samuel Rodgers
May 22, 2017

We are actually in the process of working on creating standards and policy for video in our organization, and it's very difficult to make a unilateral requirement since there are so many departments involved with different needs, so many variables, and as you mentioned technology is always changing. Right now they are extremely low-level and vague standards (ie, cameras outdoor must be IP66, cameras in public areas should be vandalproof, and they are mandating new camera installs be IP). Nothing about PPF, light levels, etc since no one could agree to anything in that regard

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
May 22, 2017
IPVM

Nothing about PPF, light levels, etc since no one could agree to anything in that regard

Samuel, would it be possible to at least pick a minimum PPF? Specifying none at all would seem to create even a greater risk of someone responding with an even poorer quality / very low PPF, no?

(1)
(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #5
May 22, 2017

U.S. Department of the Treasury Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)

https://www.occ.treas.gov/

Got Regulators to keep off our backs right?  On topic of DHS you better be following their Cyber "suggestions" and constantly monitoring ICS-Cert.

No longer do just Business and Functional Requirements come into play, in-fact I see that IS Requirements are started to takeover and becoming a top priority for many organizations.  Audit and Compliance and Cyber Security are mostly what to focus on, if you don't cut the IS scrutiny then why even consider a product period.

(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 23, 2017

#5 fully agree I see many SOW that are now 20 - 60 - 20. 20% CCTV requirements 60% cyber requirements to include what I would call overhead like property management and 20% contracting language like security requirements.  InfoSec has become more weighted then the actual CCTV requirements.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 23, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Do they exist in Ohio or Michigan? In the USA in general? I don't know of any.

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #10
Feb 13, 2018

I think Ohio and Michigan are exempt from any standards whatsoever. Lucky for you, right?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
May 23, 2017

Yes all the time, rules or standards offers guidance.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #8
May 30, 2017

We have taken on a couple of "dispensaries" in the state of Illinois. Both of the jobs that I was handed to design had 2 different sets of standards. I am not sure if it was a county or a statewide set of rules. What I do recall was that every square inch (other than restrooms) had to be covered with a camera. It didn't give any kind of a PPF or any other resolution requirements. Also, all perimeter exterior walls had to be covered as well. Every camera had to be IR with WDR and nighttime features such as Stellar or Lightfinder. The recording standards, if memory serves, was 15 FPS on all cameras and 6 months of storage. The state of Illinois also had remote access to all cameras and the recordings and could run reports on the user logins as well.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions