Subscriber Discussion

Do You Carry/Use A Decibel Meter?

Ethan Ace
Mar 01, 2017

In upcoming intrusion and other testing, we plan to measure sound pressure levels (SPL) of various devices, such as alarm sirens/annunciators, intercoms, and more. 

Do you or your techs carry one? What model(s) do you use? What do you use them for?

There are solidly recommended models on Amazon for less than $20.

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 02, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I have an app (Decibel Meter iPhone app) for that...

/sarcasm

(2)
John Scanlan
Mar 02, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

When I installed noise canceling equipment (medical office consultation rooms), the project management firm required screen shots from db Meter Pro.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Not in a security designer capacity, but Extech makes a nice line of dosimeters that are routinely used in occupational safety applications.

I've carried this one with a range of 30-130 dB that is less than $300, includes the mic in the unit, and has a null-modem port.

Kyle Folger
Mar 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Actually, a very useful tool is available for the iPhone. The app creates setup files for the mic to compensate for flaws with the iPhone mic. I have this device for audio testing:

iAudioInterface2

There are multiple modules within the app that are in app purchases. I have purchased most of them. The developer of the software is very good. There are a few SPL meter options within the app. It's a good dirty test that is pretty accurate and almost always on me. The full test rig is only used when tuning an audio system.

Any cheap ones will be no better than an iPhone with the built in microphone. Any good meter worth buying will have a calibrator available to set reference level. I have the calibrator for the microphones I use :

Calibrator

Microphone Set

I'm not saying you would need these, but be aware that there are different levels and standards when it comes to measuring audio and the accuracy required.

Other testing is being required for some systems. One such test is meeting STI standards. This quick search pulled up this information

I also do have an older Tenma 72-860a with a calibrator.

For the testing you are planning on doing, use the AudioTools with the SPL module if you have an iPhone.

(1)
Michael Silva
Mar 02, 2017
Silva Consultants

Sound meters used to be standard equipment for technicians who did commercial fire alarm systems. Fire codes often require that audible devices produce a minimum sound level throughout the premises. Prior to calling for a final inspection, technicians would use the meters to make sure that the requirements were met before calling in the inspector.

Believe it or not, Radio Shack at one time made a relatively inexpensive sound meter that was used by many security/fire installers. 

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If you are doing video *and* intrusion, you might want to consider a "multi-meter", like this one for under $100:

Its a  lux and decibel combo meter.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions