Subscriber Discussion

Do We Really Need High End Cable For 4k And Above?

RS
Ross Samek
Aug 10, 2016

Hello guys,

One of our distributors has been beating on us about the cable we use for our IP cameras. We've been putting in some minimum compliance Cat6 and has been working just fine for 3 and 4MP cameras. They say that without using high quality cable, they are claiming that 4K and above resolution cameras will have a hard time performing. Are they just trying to sell us on high grade wire or is there something that we need to be educated on? 

Thanks

Ethan Ace
Aug 10, 2016

They're just trying to sell you high grade wire. I think the only way you'd really run into problems is if the cable you're using is very badly under spec. Which is very rarely the case, especially considering you're running Cat 6.

Related: we're just finishing up a test of over-length cables (over 300') and it's amazing how forgiving cable actually is compared to what we think it is.

RS
Ross Samek
Aug 10, 2016

Thanks Ethan,

Its Honeywell Genesis cable. I know its not the best in the world but its getting the job done.

Ethan Ace
Aug 10, 2016

That's pretty much how I would describe Genesis. There's better out there, but it's fine.

AR
Austin Rich
Aug 10, 2016

No. You may want to look at a really high end distributor.

To be truly compliant with Cat6 standards the cable should be 23 AWG, but I have seen and used a ton of 24AWG Cat6.

I avoid copper clad aluminum. That's rubbish. YMMV

RS
Ross Samek
Aug 10, 2016

This is coming from a big name distributor. Of course we're not buying the wire from so we figured this was a sales tactic.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This is coming from a big name distributor. Of course we're not buying the wire from so we figured this was a sales tactic.

Is it Anixter?

Anixter cable has been rigorously tested and proven to be 'pretty much unusable' with h.264 unless is you are using 6A or greater.

Anybody else's 5E should be fine ;)

(2)
AR
Austin Rich
Aug 11, 2016

I should have said a "different distributor". I assumed this was some equivalent of whatever a trunk slammer is considered in distribution... A box pusher, maybe?

Either way this is pure sales tactics. I would find a distributor that works with you to NOT pull the wool over your eyes.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

To be truly compliant with Cat6 standards the cable should be 23 AWG...

Disagree. What are you basing that on?

AR
Austin Rich
Aug 11, 2016

An influx of CCA being 24 AWG and a distinct lack of 24 AWG Cat6 that is listed as ETL verified. I'm not saying it is not possible, but I have yet to see an 24 AWG. that is tested as compliant but rather they state "compliant or exceeds TIA/EIA 568-C.2". It's a bit like claiming ONVIF compliance without being certified.

I have seen patch cables out of 24 AWG that are but no bulk cable.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

"I have seen patch cables out of 24 AWG that are but no bulk cable."

Do these count?

edit, non-patch

(2)
AR
Austin Rich
Aug 11, 2016

Alas, they do. That must have taken some serious searching. Well played U1!

Jon Dillabaugh
Aug 11, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

That is just some desperation on the part of a salesperson who uses fear to sell. Even CAT5e is Gigabit capable. I don't know of a single IP camera that NEEDS more than Fast Ethernet. Even if your camera exceeded the capacity of FE, it will likely be a very long time before camera bandwidth exceeds Gigabit Ethernet.

(1)
Simon Barnes
Aug 11, 2016

Ive always used cat5e and never seen a problem. You only need to use Cat6 in AV installations.

EP
Eddie Perry
Aug 11, 2016

As an electrician I can say this "no its bullcrap"

there are very few instances where you would need better than cat5e cable for bandwidth purposes.

now power, environment, possible interference, and maybe not running it outside under ground in bad spots for in cases of lightning changes the equation for what to use as it should.

but for most normal installs cat5e is fine.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions