Subscriber Discussion

Do Cameras Usually Die Before Their IR Does?

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 12, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I have two bullet cameras that are 2-3 years old and where the built-in IR has stopped working, (even after cleaning). Entire ring of LED's is out. Cheap-assed cameras, but still work fine except for that. Seemed a litte weird at first, but something's got to go first on any box, right?

Put another way, when you have to return/repair/replace a camera with built-in IR, how often is non-functioning IR the reason?

btw, I was pretty sure there was an IPVM article or survey on "Why do cameras fail ", (in the hardware sense.) but I can't locate it. If not, maybe it would be a good added integrator survery question in the future?

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 12, 2015
IPVM

Integrated IR is a relatively new phenomenon, even up until 3 years ago, they were not very common, certainly on the professional side. I mention this because this limits data / experiences on long term reliability.

That said, 'cheap-assed cameras' tend to use consumer grade LEDs (see IR LED types). To that end, I wouldn't be surprised for it to commonly happen after a few years.

On failure rate, we do have this: Lifespan of Video Surveillance Systems. We will queue one up specifically on camera failures.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 12, 2015
IPVMU Certified

That said, 'cheap-assed cameras' tend to use consumer grade LEDs (see IR LED types). To that end, I wouldn't be surprised for it to commonly happen after a few years.

If the LEDs do typically fail after warranty but before the camera itself, it's weird because you still have a perfectly good camera, just not as good. I'm gonna order a replacement ring and see if it works.

Raytec and others offering external illuminators will be sure to use these failures in their marketing. Maybe they could even offer a POE-splitting external illuminator that attaches to most bullets, and turn the whole thing to their advantage.

btw, I intended cheap-est not cheap-assed, damn auto learning, auto correct...

JH
John Honovich
Apr 12, 2015
IPVM

"Raytec and others offering external illuminators will be sure to use these failures in their marketing."

Sure, but it's still a price issue.

A relatively inexpensive, short-range Raytec IR illuminator (e.g., Raymax 25) runs in the $250 price range, which is what twice the price of what your camera cost with IR?

Mike Rose
Apr 12, 2015
Garbage in, that is what you get,garbage Working for a manufacter that stands behind their cameras, I cannot believe some of the hardware we have to replace. How can an integrator with the least bit of integrity even sleep at night knowing they will have a failure sooner rather than later? It has been my experience over the years that substandard manufacturers do not last. Market place can be cruel.
TD
Ted DeMatteo
Apr 12, 2015

I always look at this as a weak link in the camera when justifying my price for cameras vs other bids a client receives. The warranty of the camera seems to be related to the quality of the camera in my view.

I can not see this but my wife swears that Christmas bulbs get dimmer each year and the cheaper the quicker they seem to dim. I use this as an analogy and the clients seem to relate to it.

I also look at built in IR as a tool but not a solution to better lighting and independent IR illuminators. Just when I started to get a handle on basic imaging concepts and transmission, I find that really understanding lighting is maybe even more intensive.

Good subject for a training topic.

Ted

Mike Rose
Apr 12, 2015

Color video is actually painting with light. I am in the south and we are fortunate to have low cost power.

Have a healthy respect for ir illumination. Unless stated otherwise good for only 60 feet. We have had good results with cmos day/night units.

Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 13, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I've had some cheap cameras (generic, Vonnic, etc) that the IR has failed after about a year in service. It is somewhat common with cheaper models IMO.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Did you fix 'em, scrap 'em, move 'em or leave 'em?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions