Subscriber Discussion

Digital Watchdog Pano

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 10, 2016

Anyone used the Digital Watchdog Pano Camera? Issues? How does it compare to Arecont's 180's (yes I saw the John's last "worst camera" posting). Image quality? VMS Support? Etc

JH
John Honovich
Feb 10, 2016
IPVM

The model you linked to has a maximum video (output) resolution of 1080p. For a panoramic, that's a very low resolution (most competitors are 8, 9, 12, or higher).

Because of that structural deficiency, we never looked at it anymore. DW is planning / hopefully about to release a 48MP multi-imager, which we are interested in testing.

Brandon Knutson
Feb 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Both the dome version and the funny looking one appear to use three 2.1 Megapixel 1080p image sensors. Could be worse.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 11, 2016
IPVM

"three 2.1 Megapixel 1080p image sensors."

Brandon, yes, definitely 3 1080p sensors but only a 1080p max output, as Patrick describes.

PK
Patrick Kelly
Feb 10, 2016

Full Disclosure - I work for Digital Watchdog

Agreed - we are planning to release our 48MP/15FPS camera at ISC West 2016. This camera is also capable of 32MP/30 or 25 FPS as well. We will be having a webinar this Friday on this camera as well.

The 1080p panoramic cameras have been a great solution for some applications, but these applications are different to what it's being compared to here. The best way to think of these cameras are that they are similar to PTZ more than other mfg panoramics.

The PTZ control and presets in DW Spectrum work with these cameras as well. Best part is there are no moving parts.

The dome and the bullet(also known as Thor's hammer) stream a stitched 1080p image from the 3 sensors at up to 30 FPS. The stream is standard ONVIF Profile S so other VMS solution should not have an issue, we do not in DW Spectrum. The Hammer also has integrated IR for low light.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you would like to try one.

Thanks

Patrick

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The best way to think of these cameras are that they are similar to PTZ more than other mfg panoramics.

That's a good way of putting it, though the zoom would be just 3X, I think.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions