Subscriber Discussion

Difference Between Thermal Anti-Intrusion System And AXIS Perimeter Defender

ED
Ennio Di Girolamo
Feb 21, 2018

Hello,

anyone have experience using Perimeter Alarm system with Mobotix M15 Thermal Camera?

What is the Difference between this and Axis Perimeter defender or Flir?

thanks

DH
Dirk Hedlund
Feb 21, 2018

Ennio, I am very familiar with the M15 thermal in perimeter detection applications but less so with Axis Perimeter Defender. To effectively secure a perimeter with a Mobotix thermal camera one would rely on their motion detection algorithm aptly named Mx Activity Sensor. With properly configured motion zones and possibly even meta-events, the M15 thermal is a formidable perimeter surveillance solution.

Axis Perimeter Defender as I understand it is a dedicated analytic that also resides on-board the camera (with an additional license like Axis Cross Line Detection). I have not field tested it but the promotional video looks pretty slick. I am biased towards the M15/16 due to the fact that you get a thermal and visible context camera in the same housing.

Hope this helps!!!

(2)
(1)
ED
Ennio Di Girolamo
Feb 22, 2018

Thanks a lot,

in your experience have you used Mobotix on external industrial perimeter? What is the number of false alarm?

Is it possible to integrate alarms via software in any vms?

Bye

DH
Dirk Hedlund
Feb 22, 2018

Not a problem at all, I've used Mobotix thermal on industrial perimeters with excellent results. False alarms in the context of thermal are far and few between especially if there isn't too much wildlife moving in the detection zones. With Activity Sensor 2.0 you can configure it in such a way where the camera takes into account depth perception and this can further mitigate false reads. Another great way to effectively eliminate false alarms is to only utilize motion detection on the thermal sensor and use the other lens purely for context rather than image analysis.

I generally just use an end-to-end Mobotix solution including their viewing software MxManagement Center. MxManagement Center can effectively handle alarms and notifications. I've got some experience with Milestone XProtect and know that they integrate with Mobotix quite throughly as it pertains to camera based motion detection and alarms as well as support of the native MxPeg codec Mobotix employs.

Don't forget about the radiometry feature as a potential up-sell, especially if you already have a foot in the door at an industrial facility.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

-Dirk

Scott Napier
Apr 02, 2018

You could also add the RS-232 box for a variety of outputs to interface with whatever your alarm system can take.  

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions