Subscriber Discussion

Detroit's Project Green Light - "It Don't Mean S---. It's Not Protecting Nobody.”

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 10, 2016

BRK wrote a piece 9 months ago about a new initiative by the Detroit PD called Project Green Light, which mandates HD video, good lighting and bandwidth capable of streaming to the Detroit PD HQ.

In the comments section of that article, posted only 3 months ago by Paul S, there was a news story from Detroit which quoted a guy named Mo Rustam who owns 3 Valero convenience stores in Detroit:

"Since we have gotten our green light, the crime has been down like crazy at my stations. My employees are safe, my customers are safe,” said Mo Rustam, owner of the Valero station on McNichols and Telegraph. “$140 a month is not a lot. It is really important to me is my customers and my employees … You’ll wake up in the morning and you’ll have no calls that something happened at your place. I hope everyone gets it going.”

Well, now Mo is singing a different tune just 3 months later.  New quote:

“We’re paying every month, so if the police is watching, what are they doing for us?

It costs $160 a month per station, plus $1,000 for installation. But right now, to me, it's just like a blinking green light. It don't mean s---. It's not protecting nobody.”

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 10, 2016

Notice that Mo assumes that his Green Light cameras are being monitored 24x7 by the DPD - and in his mind, as soon as someone starts to steal something from his businesses, the cops should be rolling to the location to snatch up the perpetrators.

But is this perception a reality?

As the number of participants increases, how could DPD possibly monitor all the Green Light cameras? There is no mention of any analytics (or panic buttons) in place - so how would the DPD be able to scale this initiative without giving participants a false sense of security?

Comments?

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

But is this perception a reality?

Well the DPD says it is:

Police said they were monitoring the situation as it happened, when the man at the gas station was kicking in the door. But they didn't feel the clerk was in any danger. Officers are reviewing the tape and expect to have the men in custody soon.

But it seems hard to believe without at least a panic button or something to alert them. (Interesting, Axis cameras in use.)

On the other hand, I think Mo' better train his employees to be a little Mo smarter in the future. Locking a thief in the store with you (even if you are behind glass) seems courageous but likely to lead to greater losses than just a few quarts of motor oil.

No word if anyone was charged for the Controlled Access / Free Egress: IBC – 1010.1.9 and NFPA 101 – 7.2.1.5 violations ;)

PS
Paul Shah
Dec 10, 2016

This was part of a program from Motorola and Genetec.

Conneting to Genetecs cloud service was required initially, which would link to DPD.

There are a few other cities using the same type of Genetec setup.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Though in this case the only camera shown is Axis (outdoor) and the recorder is Geovision.

PS
Paul Shah
Dec 10, 2016

From what I've heard, they have 2 systems. One dedicated internet service and surveillance system for DPD to access.

Here is the service he is probably using:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2016/09/08/greenlight/90016834/

U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 21, 2016
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions