Subscriber Discussion

Detection Center Surveillance System Equipment List

CP
Carlton Purvis
Apr 11, 2014

One of the hardest types of interviews to land when it comes to security is one with a jail or a prison. They're pretty secretive or back out at the last minute. I finally made some progress. I didn't get an interview, but I was able to get a copy of an equipment list of what one detention center uses. This is from the Collin County Detention Center in McKinney, TX. It's a tiny place, but nationally known for it's distinctive mugshots -- inmates wear towels around their shoulders. Here's the equipment list if you're ever wondering what's being used in a Texas county jail:

Ari Erenthal
Apr 11, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

nationally known for it's distinctive mugshots -- inmates wear towels around their shoulders.

Why?

CL
Chris Lobozzo
Apr 11, 2014

Its so everyone looks 100% the same for lineup pictures. There have been studies done that if you commit a crime and wear a red shirt, then I wear a redshirt to the lineup, there is a higher probability that I am selected based on my shirt than you would be based on your face...

By wrapping the towel around their neck and shoulders, the only thing you can see is the face.

CP
Carlton Purvis
Apr 11, 2014

The internet rumour a couple years ago was that there were building a face rec database. The jail says it's actually so people will focus on a suspect's facial features instead of their clothing.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions