Subscriber Discussion

Detecting Heavy Black Plastic Smoke Outdoors

keith maxwell
Jul 22, 2017
Northeast Remote Surveillance and alarm, LLC

My client has a industrial operation and has had a few greater than 7 figure losses due to after hours fires. Is there an effective way to detect plastic/rubber/petro fire outdoors?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 22, 2017

I've never installed one for this application but I believe thermal cameras should work well. 

keith maxwell
Jul 22, 2017
Northeast Remote Surveillance and alarm, LLC

I would agree but we need to convert it to a reliable alarm trigger. We don't want every rat or cat running by to set it off.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 23, 2017

Maybe tieing the thermal trigger into a remote monitor station would help. Operators could use regular cameras to confirm smoke or other conditions prior to contacting the fire department. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 22, 2017

Hi Keith,

I have referred clients to Cognex in the past. I do not work for, nor do I distribute or install these sytstems.

You may be looking at a system like Cognex. A machine-vision product will be more flexible than a surveillance solution and, from my limited understanding, you can use a Cognex camera in tandem with a thermal camera and use their software to make a decision to shut down equipment, call someone or perform whatever action you need.

My suggestion is to get in touch with Cognex and have them get a local/regional rep to get in touch with you and to work with you to provide the client a solution. If we are talking about a greater than 1M loss, a $50,000 system from Cognex could help immensely.

Best of luck!

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions