Subscriber Discussion

Dell IP Camera

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Sep 17, 2015

Does anyone know that Dell has IP camera? Is there any information availbale on the internet?

JH
John Honovich
Sep 17, 2015
IPVM

I had not heard of it and I just searched for it online and did not find any matches.

Where did you hear of this, Noppdaol?

UM
Sep 17, 2015

I heard from one project in Thailand that one SI proposed it to the customer. I'm very surprise but need to verify it first if there's a misunderstanding.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 17, 2015
IPVM

I doubt Dell, the computer manufacturer, is manufacturing its own IP cameras. Maybe there is some re-brand or maybe the SI is trying to confuse the customer. I'd be skeptical!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Sep 17, 2015

Dell does sell Ip cameras, but they're not their own brand. Mybe this SI is trying to hike up the price on crappy cameras...;(

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&category_id=6404

AS
ANDREW S CHALSON
Sep 17, 2015

My guess is that the Contractor advised that it was a Dell System and may have produced a Dell Spec sheet for a Dell Server.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 17, 2015
IPVM

Andrew, thanks. That sounds like a reasonable possibility. He might see this as a way to make his proposal stand out if competitors are offering less well known brands.

UM
Sep 18, 2015

Just verified it again with customer, it's the Dell server with Diebold's IP camera.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 18, 2015
IPVM

Wait, now Diebold makes IP cameras? :)

Is this a proposal from Diebold? Diebold might re-label IP cameras but they are not an IP camera manufacturer.

UM
Sep 18, 2015

There're some few projects here using Diebold's camera. The customer get a feeling that they buy American product but for quality (no comment).

JH
John Honovich
Sep 18, 2015
IPVM

'buy American product'

Lol... Chances are high that it is an Asian product relabled with an American name and then sold for a premium. How sad...

UM
Sep 18, 2015

Yes.

AS
ANDREW S CHALSON
Sep 18, 2015
Perception is reality. Considering the OEM / ODM relationships that exist with many "Camera " manufacturers these days - it's clever marketing.
Mark Jones
Sep 18, 2015

Diebold has been OEM'ing Ikegami for years.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 18, 2015
IPVM

Ikegami was well respected in banking years ago during the analog heyday, so that is reasonable. However, I have not heard anyone mention Ikegami to me in years. They do list some IP cameras on their CCTV website but they are fairly basic specs.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions