Subscriber Discussion

Daycare Surveillance- What System Would Allow A Few Hundred App Connections To View Live Video?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 15, 2016

Had a request come in to put up a view cameras in a daycare so that parents could view their little ones from an app on their phone. They also want the ability to control the cameras that each login can see. For app related requests we generally use Exacq, but their maximum connections through the web is only 16.

Anyone have any experience with a system that could handle this, or is this a more specialized setup than I'm expecting?

Brian Karas
Jan 15, 2016
Pelican Zero

This is probably a more specialized setup. You need a streaming service (IMO) like HD Relay

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 15, 2016
IPVM

But they probably also want a way to firmly control / restrict non-authorized users. I don't think a streaming service will do that, yes/no?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 15, 2016

Have you looked at the Hikvision embedded NVRs (eg. DS-9632NI-ST)?

The units claim to do 100mbps or 200mbps streaming and allow up to 128 streams to be seen at once (so they claim, I have yet to try more than 2 or 3 simultaneous streams).

I know this doesn't get you the "few hundred" you are looking for, but it might be a start.

Hans Kahler
Jan 15, 2016
Eagle Eye Networks

Full disclosure - I work for Eagle Eye Networks.

The Eagle Eye system, which is cloud based, is able to do this. In fact we have several customers using our system for exactly that. We also have a couple of customers using it for dog day care too.

Because users on our system connect to the cloud to view video, not the individual site, the local Internet connection only streams the video once, regardless of how many people view it.

We also have fairly granular permissions, which allow you to grant access to end users on a camera by camera basis. For example, if you have kids in the 3 yr old classroom, you can only see those cameras. But someone with kids in the 3 yr old and 4 yr old classrooms can see both classrooms.

We have free iOS and Android apps that can be downloaded from the respective stores, and there is no per user charge. The day care would just pay based on the number of cameras, and how long they want to store the video.

We didn't design our system specifically for this use case - but it does fit pretty well.

(2)
(3)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jan 15, 2016

Angelcam can handle hundreds of connections to a camera, and can be password protected. They don't have an app, simply cross browser support.

(1)
AT
Andrew Thomas
Jan 15, 2016

And crush their cheap DSL/Broadband router and slow upstream connection. IF it were me, I'd post FTP images onto a WEB SITE, password protected, and flush all images daily.. Posting a single FTP image from each room, allows room level restrictions, and posting an image every 10 to 30 seconds will make the fam. happy......

(2)
(1)
(1)
LL
Louis Li
Jan 16, 2016

Suggest to try out Wowza which is already on EC2 of AWS. Pull the main stream video from the cameras to the cloud and then stream to multiple apps from there. Wowza has user access control built-in so should fit in your case well.

As far as cost goes, AWS meters you on the outbound bandwidth usage only with very very reasonable fee structure. Or you could get a dedicate cloud server with nearly unlimited bandwidth both ways and deploy the Wowza yourself.

Simon Barnes
Jan 16, 2016

I looked at this a couple of years ago and instead of adding on another streaming service adding cost to the client I wondered if a limited time login would be a suitable solution, you know to stop mum or dad leaving an open browser while at work.

So I asked Milestone if it could be done in the next version - never heard anything back!

Are there any other VMS out there that can do this? Maybe a cheap alternative.

U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

So I asked Milestone if it could be done in the next version - never heard anything back!

Are you sure they don't have this already? Smart client allows setting of user inactivity session timeouts, as well as limiting the connections, AFAIK.

Simon Barnes
Jan 16, 2016

I've never Seen that setting and if it is in the smart client then you would have to access every parents pc to implement it which would be impossible.

if you've seen it in the server then where? And what version? Corporate maybe.

but that would make it a bit out of a day cares budget.

anyway most parents would probably want to connect via web client or mobile and as an installer I would want to limit them to business hours and give them a time limit.

U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I've never Seen that setting and if it is in the smart client then you would have to access every parents pc to implement it which would be impossible.

Its "in the smart client" but it's administered thru the management client.

If you've seen it in the server then where? And what version? Corporate maybe.

Yes, Xprotect Corporate for sure. Unlimited profiles.

Also, Xprotect Expert. 3 profiles. Which might be more than enough.

anyway most parents would probably want to connect via web client or mobile and as an installer I would want to limit them to business hours and give them a time limit.

The mobile server lets you set a global timeout value as well. All versions.

but that would make it a bit out of a day cares budget.

So now I have to justify your idea? Nice. ;)

Simon Barnes
Jan 16, 2016

Also limited time logins would be a great way to demo systems to clients without tying up your own broadband.

Simon Barnes
Jan 16, 2016

Keep your knickers on ud4 but thanks for the info I wasn't looking for justification just stating I hadn't seen it. And now I know why as its in the top tier products. The original post was looking for a solution for daycare so unless it's daycare for the top 1% kids I make a fare point about cost.

As for the web client being global is a bit pointless if you want different profiles.

Now back to my original point if anyone knows of a VMS that offers this it may help the original post with a solution instead of paying for a streaming service.

U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

As for the web client being global is a bit pointless if you want different profiles...

You can still have different profiles for the Smart Client, this is only for the web. Just to keep Mum and Dad from leaving the browser open at work...

The original post was looking for a solution for daycare so unless it's daycare for the top 1% kids I make a fare point about cost.

Xprotect Go is free and includes the inactivity timeout of Milestone Mobile.

i would take it as a compliment Simon; you told them a feature that they were missing, and they added it, right?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Jan 17, 2016

[Note: poster is from Duranc]

Duranc can handle hundreds of connections to a camera and supported by 2 factor authentication not just username and password. They have fine granular level user authentication.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions