Subscriber Discussion

Are Access Data 0 & Data 1 Wires Interchangeable?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 13, 2017

We had to replace a controller board and the reader was already disconnected by the previous provider. The wires leaving the board/enclosure were green and white, and the wires off the AWID reader were green and white. But the wires coming to the reader were red/black and 2 other colors (not green and white) so we just connected it and figured 50/50 it would work.

It seems to work but certain residents can not get in. The reader seems to beep but the gate will not open. We have not investigated further and will be back out to check the log, see if the cards are in the system etc.

Just wondering if mixing up these connections could cause these random issues.

DoorKing system fwiw

Brian Rhodes
Apr 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

4 Wires are commonly used for access readers:

• Red: + voltage
  • Black: - voltage
  • Green: Data 1
  • White: Data 0

But other colors may be used to control the LED, tie a tamper alarm, and so on.

It sounds like you got a handle on that, but I don't follow your written problem. What are 'the wires coming to the reader' if they aren't the ones coming from the board?

Also, troubleshooting a low-level wiring issue before checking the logs is leaving out a big piece of the puzzle. I'd elect to go that route first before getting in the weeds.  

UI
Apr 13, 2017

This is a telephone entry system/Call box. Call box is on one island, resident card reader on another island.

Green/White leaves the call box as green/white but enters the card reader enclosure as two other colors. There is a splice somewhere where the wiring changed. Not a big deal, I just dont know which is which. It is easy enough to tone them and sort it out and I will do that today.

But since the problem is so intermittent, and only seems to affect specific cards, I was wondering if this may even be the issue

UI
Apr 13, 2017

Well I can not confirm if that would have worked. We toned/metered the wires and had it right first time

The cards that were failing were not in the system. oddly enough the log did not record that it denied any cards. There is no record of those cards being swiped. Is that normal?

The real issue was they could not communicate with the callbox from their PC, so as they created new cards, they weren't at the callbox. Fixed that, and all seems to be good now.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 14, 2017

If the reader is wiegand then you will get invalid card reads. You are swapping all of the 1's and 0's in the card read data. A pulse on Data 0 represents a 0 bit and vice versa.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions