Subscriber Discussion

Dahua VBR Issues With Latest Firmwares

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 13, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

We have been seeing very unstable images recently out of Dahua cameras. This has been seen in a wide range of models, from a 12MP fisheye, 12MP bullets, 4MP fisheye, and 4MP bullets. The issue is that you get very heavy compression artifacting and screen flashing on P-frames when using VBR, even when using the highest quality setting (6).

This can be resolved by using using CBR, but for obvious reasons, that isn't desirable. This will waste bandwidth and storage.

Anyone else seeing these issues?

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 13, 2017
IPVM

JD, sorry to hear that. What firmware are you using? We need this to check ourselves and also to review with Dahua.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 13, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I'm on the road today, but will take time tonight to gather model numbers and firmware revisions. I can say this, we didn't see these issue before the rush to update the firmwares after the last Dahua exploit, the password file dump. 

What seems to have happened is they tried to rush a fix out the door, but based it all on buggy versions, instead of taking the newest, bug free editions and fixing those. 

GF
Gerald Fowler
Jun 14, 2017

I wonder if thats why some cameras dropping from nvr and showing black screen.Though its still recording in background.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jun 14, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Here is an example of a 12MP bullet that was having issues.

IPC-HFW81230EN-Z

Here is a 12MP Fisheye that I just upgraded. It is buggy as hell. I would downgrade it, but I don't have the original version.

IPC-EBW812A0N

(1)
Ethan Ace
Jun 14, 2017

I've used a few Dahua cameras recently and this hasn't turned up. We just checked it on an HBDW54A1-Z and no issues at any setting. 

We don't have a 12MP but we should have one arriving soon. It could be an issue on those models.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions