Dahua "Tri-Brid" DVRs (Analog/Hdcvi/Ip)

Ethan Ace
May 14, 2014

According to their press release, these things seem to do it all: analog (960H), HDCVI, and IP cameras with 200 Mbps throughput handling. ONVIF conformance. Plus cloud access via QR code. They do not currently automatically switch input type from analog to HDCVI but Dahua is looking to add it in firmware.

According to Dahua they'll be priced "nearly double" their HDCVI DVRs, though those models are inexpensive, with an 8 channel model for only ~$160.

Is this the most futureproof recorder ever? Take over your analog now, add HD over coax, with the option for IP if you need it?

Ari Erenthal
May 14, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I wonder what kind of graphics card this thing uses. I kind of want to pop it open and see.

Ethan Ace
May 14, 2014

We actually have the HDCVI only version of the 7000 series sitting here, but it's likely a different video card. Only one HDMI out.

JH
John Honovich
May 14, 2014
IPVM

Note: we'll be releasing our HD CVI test results next week.

The pricing across the board is quite agressive and if they can do a 'tribid' at such low prices, it's certainly priced right.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 01, 2014
IPVM

From Joe Nelson, copying over:

After reading through the extensive HDCVI discussion, I was looking at the SecuExpress site and see that they are showing a "triplex" DVR that can accept simultaneous inputs from HDCVI, IP, & analog cameras.

This is a very interesting concept that could have allot of benefits. I am not sure that I understand how the hard drive('s) get connected/attached? Do these require a separate chassis for the hard drive? I am probably going to try one of these at our shop as we have a combination of analog and IP cameras that we experiment with.

I also see that GW security, on Amazon, has HDCVI cameras with varifocal lenses! but they all seem to be the 720p versions.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 01, 2014
IPVM

Joe, thanks. Had not seen that!

My main concern is that this looks expensive, relatively speaking. It's $429 for the 4 channel version and $644 for the 16 channel one. That's far more than the HDCVI only ones. Here's a relevant comparison for HDCVI DVR.

As to hard drives, I don't think they require a separate chassis. Under the specification section, it says "Internal HDD" - "8 SATA ports, up to 32TB". Though that's a lot of hard drive bays for 2U, no?

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Jun 01, 2014

It's $429 for the 4 channel version...

If you're looking for more 'bang for the buck' though, you should consider this shorter stature $441.00, 1.5U 1080P tri-brid model, 4 more channels, .5 less U, all for 12 dollars!

Here's a relevant comparison for HDCVI DVR.

Though this model is only 720P and the others are 1080P.

JN
Joe Nelson
Jun 01, 2014

Sorry about starting a new discussion on this topic, I had not seen this thread. We have a number of clients that have the QSee systems from Costco and would like to add additional cameras. The triplex model would allow additional cameras to be added and still allow the existing cameras to be used. I am mainly thinking about the ability to add HD cameras, either IP or HDCVI, while still allowing them to use the existing ones, whatever they might be. If they are currently using an 8 port DVR with 8 analog cameras and they want to add 1 or more cameras, then regardless, they will need to replace or add a DVR.

We prefer to use higher end products like Axis, etc, but are finding it more difficult to justify the enormous cost difference. Many clients are completely happy to have anything at all provided it works at least "reasonably" well. It has been frustrating to consistently not get surveillance jobs because of the high cost of HD IP(using main stream products anyway).

JH
John Honovich
Jun 01, 2014
IPVM

Joe, good feedback, thanks!

Would it be less expensive to just get separate HD CVI and analog DVRs from the same manufacturer? The customer could then monitor both from the same client / interface. Just a thought.

Marty Major
Jun 02, 2014
Teledyne FLIR

I'm curious why someone would want both IP and HDCVI/HDcctv/HDSDI (u choose) in the same analog-compatible box.

Hybrid machines would make some sense - but why would someone want to upgrade to 'hi-def' across 2 separate platforms?

Marty Major
Jun 02, 2014
Teledyne FLIR

Because they can.

There. I took that non-sequitor off the table so you can focus on a serious answer (if there are any).

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Jun 02, 2014

There. I took that non-sequitor off the table so you can focus on a serious answer (if there are any).

I can hear the collective groaning of a hundred would-be smart-asses, as you dangle, and then devour, the only decent quip to be had around here for days... Well done!

I'm curious why someone would want both IP and HDCVI (i chose) in the same analog-compatible box.

I am flush with both first-hand data and experience in these matters, having spent over 9 hundo, just minutes ago on preordering my tribrid. The reason is simple, I have a handful of IP cams. I have a handful of analog cams used thru encoders. I just bought a handful of HD-CVI cams. So the problem is, you guessed it, I only have two hands! (No Anthony Gatto quips, please!)

Yes its true to some degree, I got them because I can. But also I'm getting them because my server seems like its bogging down with the fourteen server side motion detection channels on it right now. I'm using the server also as the client to feed a two screen 'wall' and its a bit jumpy to say the least. I know at least a dozen simple things I could do to improve the performance dramatically, but my doctor has a fool for a patient... And this is way more fun right? And a 2MP 1080P 30 fps PTZ with Integrated IR for $75?

So short answer, someone who has already upgraded to hi-def may want to trigrade if the cost of new cameras is compelling or the technology has some benefit.

Ethan Ace
Jun 02, 2014

1. Multi-building sites where the bulk of cameras are in one building but you have some hanging from a garage or outbuilding with network access.

2. Wireless pole mounted cameras.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 03, 2014

I have actually such request; because the customer does not allow network cameras outside but still wants to have HD cameras. However, all kinds of indoor IP cameras are already been approved after a Proof of Concept.

Besides that, it gives me an advantage over competitors that offer HD over coax only. Still think that network could be secured properly but customer does not want it.

(Does anyone know a PoE switch that wont reconnect a PoE device when it is disconnected unless I confirm? )

So still looking for a Tribrid recorder that can also handle POS data.

Any suggestions?

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Jun 03, 2014

Here is the back panel layout, along with Dahua's pictorial I/O map. One wonders if a poe router/wap could be added at some point to make the device even more compelling and self-sufficient, perhaps the jacks could go in those 16 strangely vacant punchouts...

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions